AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used Yamaha P7000S amp to replace my ED LT1300 plate amp, but it did not come with the manual. It's going to be powering a Audiopulse Ultra LMS 15" sub in a 7cf box w/18" PR's, tuned to 16hz. I realize that to push the LMS close to it's limit, I needed more power, that's the reason I upgraded the amp. This is my first pro amp and I have a few questions.

Being that the LMS is DVC2ohm, the + cable from the sub should go to the + of the binding cup and the - cable from the sub to the - of the binding cup, right? The amp is going to be bridged to 4ohm and the cable is 12ga, should be good enough, right? Put the switch to briged on the amp and then I would run the cables from the red binding posts in the back of the amp where it says bridged to the binding cup posts, + with + and - with -, right?

The amp has two channel sub low cut, it should be on off, right? YSP should also be off, right? Both frequency bands should be set at max which is 150, right? The volume knob for both channels on the amp goes clockwise from 00 to 40, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 6, 3 and finally 0, should I set it at max? 3/4? 1/2?

What about the output sensitivity of the receiver's LFE? Is that going to be an issue driving this pro amp? I believe it needs to be at least 1.5v to drive the amp to its max, right? Also, what about power on switch? How will that work? Do I have to leave it on all the time? Finally, I will use a XLR cable to connect the amp to my Rane PE17 eq.

I'm going to start now with the install, hopefully it goes well. With this new amp I'm going to be using, it should make quite a difference from my previous plate amp since it's 1,300watts vs 3,000watts, basically doubling the power, giving me an extra 3db's, right? I've read that the P7000S amp should not be used in 4ohm bridged and yet some users report it works fine driving their subs at 4ohm. Anyways, thanks for taking time to answer this simple questions, I just want to make sure I get it right. Here are some pics of the driver and amp.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hook the + of one coil and the - of the other coil to the amp then connect the + and - that are left together. This will = 4ohm series. Not sure how to bridge the amp.

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Looks like it can only do 8ohms in bridge mode

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have bridged that amp into 4 ohms, it has a thermal protection system so I think its pretty hard to break. The LMS has a 4 ohm DCR coil which actually a higher resistance than most woofers that claim 4 ohms. To put it into perspective, many 8 ohm woofers are really 6 ohms, so you're not too* much lower then that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, it's good to hear that the E7000S amp will work for this sub in 4ohm. Also, it's supposed to be quiet amp (the fans almost never come on) from what I hear, I'll soon find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.