AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a whole bunch of new gear, and I am setting it all up this weekend. I did my homework and tried to choose the best models to fit my budget. I purchased the following:

Mitsubishi WS-65809 RPTV

Denon AVR-3802 7.1 channel reciever

Toshiba SD-3750 Progressive scan DVD

Infinity Indoor/Outdoor ( for my 6.1 channel rear surround )

I still own and plan on using the following:

Bose AM-7 speaker system w/ passive Sub (For front -Left-right Mains)

Atlantic Technology Di-pole surrounds ( for main surrounds )

Pioneer LaserDisc/5-CD changer

I also bought Sound & Visions "home Theater Tune up" for tweaking everything, although I have never done it before. Time Warner cable will be installing the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD to my set on Saturday after it is delivered by the movers. I bought the set on the East coast and they delivered it last week and then the movers will load and unload on Saturday. Mine was not delivered in 2 parts, any suggestions to the mover's am familiar with most hookups, but why does the receiver have component video inputs? It seems that Denon wants EVERY signal going through the receiver. Is this really necessary? What are the advantages. Where should my rear surrounds go. I was going to put them in front of the back surrounds to have a front effects channel, since the 3802 will also mirror the surround channel for those added speakers in a 5.1 channel setting. Is this the best placement? Is 16 gauge speaker wire a good choice? After all this expense, I can not invest in expensive Monster cable. I would love to hear from some experts.

I basically want to know what is the best hook up for all of these components. I realize it is a lot to ask, but who will help me. Definitely not the guy who sold them to me. I know more than he did.

Thanx,

Keir in Tampa, Fl

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The receiver is used to switch video and audio. If you have multiple component video inputs (say a DVD player, an Xbox, & HDTV) this feature would be helpful. Since you will be sending the TV various video formats (component from DVD, composite from laserdisc and cable box, etc.) you are going to have to select the input on your TV anyway (most receivers do not convert video formats). A Denon receiver is setup with an OSD (On screen display) so you'll want at least one non-component connection from the receiver to the TV. Translation:

Video:

- Run 1 component video from the DVD player directly to the TV.

- Run 1 composite from the laserdisc player to the receiver

- Run 1 composite from the cable box to the receiver

- Run 1 composite from the receiver to the TV

- When switching between cable/laserdisc and DVD you will need to change your TV input in addition to your receiver's input (component video vs. composite video input).

Audio:

- Use digital connections where possible

- DVD player to receiver digital input (use optical or digital coax connection)

- LD/CD to receiver digital input (use optical or digital coax connection)

- Cable box to receiver's DSS/TV input (probably analog RCAs)

- Configure the receiver. You will need to assign the digital connection to an input type. Example: Optical connection #2 = CD player. The Denon manual covers this in more detail.

Hook your speakers up with speaker wire. The side surrounds should be placed directly to your side with the tweeters ~18" over your seated ear position and the rear surrounds should be in the back corners. THX recommends that you use dipoles for these speakers (THX.com and your Denon's owner manual have more on proper speaker placement). I prefer dipoles for the sides and direct radiators for the rears. These are not front effects channels (the channels are decoded for rear placement). You may also want to connect the analog output of the receiver to your TV (so you can use those speakers as well). This connection will use the RCA connectors (not speaker wire).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I noticed one thing missing from your equiptment list, a powered subwoofer. The passive one that is used with the front speakers, will not be able to be hooked up to the Low Frequency Effects (.1) channel of the receiver. It isn't necessary when listening to music, but to get the full effect of movie soundtracks, it is absolutely essential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.