AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Windows 7 64bit on my HTPC, I have the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard and I'm using the onboard IGP (latest Nvidia nforce 730i/9400 drivers package) thru HDMI connected to my Olevia 747i 1080P resolution. I loaded Core AVC and XCODEC pack3 filters using the Media Player Classic to play mkv files (mkv files plays fine). I only noticed that when I play rip concert dvd's the Jaggies is really bad on my display. Anyone here how to fix this and smooth out the jaggies for playback. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Jerry

My setup

HTPC MB IGP hdmi out ---> Pioneer VSX 919ah HDMI 1 in / Pioneer VSX 919ah HDMI monitor out ----> Olevia 747i HDMI in

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds like your TV/Monitor is not true 1080p OR you resolution is not set to 1080p... Whats the native resolution of your TV/Monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineOfSighT /forum/post/16909126

I installed Windows 7 64bit on my HTPC, I have the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard and I'm using the onboard IGP (latest Nvidia nforce 730i/9400 drivers package) thru HDMI connected to my Olevia 747i 1080P resolution. I loaded Core AVC and XCODEC pack3 filters using the Media Player Classic to play mkv files (mkv files plays fine). I only noticed that when I play rip concert dvd's the Jaggies is really bad on my display. Anyone here how to fix this and smooth out the jaggies for playback. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Jerry

My setup

HTPC MB IGP hdmi out ---> Pioneer VSX 919ah HDMI 1 in / Pioneer VSX 919ah HDMI monitor out ----> Olevia 7471 HDMI in

·
Registered
981 Posts
You're relying on the upscaling capabilities of your IGP to re-scale the output to 1080P, and it sounds like AA isn't being applied. Blowing up an SD video to full HD will show these types of symptoms. It shouldn't be a de-interlacing problem as the display res is progressive, and DVD's are either 480P or 576P.

Is the Pioneer also trying to upscale the output as well, or is it just running in passthrough mode? Try bypassing it to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 /forum/post/16909374

You're relying on the upscaling capabilities of your IGP to re-scale the output to 1080P, and it sounds like AA isn't being applied. Blowing up an SD video to full HD will show these types of symptoms. It shouldn't be a de-interlacing problem as the display res is progressive, and DVD's are either 480P or 576P.

Is the Pioneer also trying to upscale the output as well, or is it just running in passthrough mode? Try bypassing it to see if it makes a difference.

Pioneer VSX 919ah dont have the upscaling capability only HDMI passthru. I just bought this Pioneer amp and its my first time using HDMI out to output video and audio my old setup Windows Vista and I used DVI and SPDIF cable and I did not noticed a bad jaggies.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am seeing the same issue with a HD4850 in Windows 7.

Since Nvidia and ATI have the same problem, it appears this problem lies with MS unfortunately.

I will probably be putting XP back on soon until Windows 7 is a little more ironed out.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineOfSighT /forum/post/16909126

I loaded Core AVC and X CODEC pack3 filters using the Media Player Classic to play mkv files (mkv files plays fine). I only noticed that when I play rip concert dvd's the Jaggies is really bad on my display. Anyone here how to fix this and smooth out the jaggies for playback. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps X Codec Pack is a wrong set of filters. Most concert NTSC DVD's are 480i59.94 interlaced. You have to use a MPEG-2 video decoder that supports DXVA (i.e. you have to use hardware deinterlacing instead of crappy software deinterlacing). For example, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and CyberLink Video/SP Decoder.

BTW the above comment applies also to concert BD's (interlaced H.264 or VC-1). You need to select a video decoder carefully.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Yup, EVR is a must for hardware deinterlacing (but first you have to use a video decoder supporting DXVA).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.