AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have an aging B&W 602 5.1 system with a Newcastle reciever that is an eyesore to the wife, and will soon be relegated to a room out of my main viewing area. To keep the peace with the wife I am looking for a sound bar that will give me the sound quality I am craving and will appease the powers that be. What do you all recommend, I have a BD player a LG 60" PK550 a DVR and a PS3 that will all need to work together. Please help and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speakers are really the problem, but my reciever is getting a bit old, no HDMI, great sound but just not up to what I need now, so If I did buy a non pwered system I would have to add a reciever as well. I am really thinking about selling the speakers so i could probably swing the mythos just looking for opinions now. I am no where near as crazy about sound quality now as I get older but I don't want tin can sound either.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You will get a bunch of different opinions on what to do. It comes down to what you want and need out of the system you choose.

My opinion if I was to buy it today would be to take the price of mythos ssa-50 at $1100 if that is your budget and what I build off. Sell your old speakers and receiver and pick up a new denon 591 receiver so you can get the hdmi inputs to plug the dvr, ps3, and bluray player into and HD codecs for playback of bluray movies for $350. Then pick up the polk surroundbar 50 for around $500. Amazon is running a deal where if you spend $500 on polk speakers they throw in the psw111 subwoofer for free. So you are at $850 leaving you $250 to pick up a harmony one remote at $150 to control everything. Set it all up run the Audyssey Multi-eq the Denon provides and call it a day. $100 is left over for extra expenses be it bluray movies, sound isolation riser for the sub, gas for the car, or take the wife out to dinner.

It all depends on how much functionality you want and the value you fell you ultimately get from the equipment. You could save your money and spend $500 and under for a powered soundbar system and still be completely happy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback I will look into your sugestions, I already have an 880Harmony so that takes some of the cash out of the equation so it makes it even a sweeter deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts