AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 12" tc2k. 3.1 cubes internal. Built as a 3/4" mdf vault, double baffle, then wrapped all over in 3/4" oak plywood. (read: Heavy!)

It's not enough. I have room on the sides to put a pair of opposing 15" passives. It would be a pita to cut out some of the internal bracing, but it is so overbuilt that I am pretty sure that there is enough present that removing some of the bracing is no big deal. Inside, there are two full braces full of 8" holes. (same size sheet as the back panel)

I would probably just cut the holes and flush mount the passives on either side. Dont know 'nuttin on how much mass they should have. But the sides are certainly strong enough, 1.5 inch thick - 3/4 mdf 3/4 oak.

Here are the specs for the 12" driver:
http://web.archive.org/web/200702212...com/tc2000.htm

I would try and sell the setup as is, but doubt there is much of a market for it.

Powered by ep2500/ bassis eq. (I would not employ the bassis if I go PR)

Would 2 15" passives be enough? Would the improvement be worth it?

Just give up and plow ahead on a maelstrom build? This would certainly be quicker and easier. But would the improvement (looking for more bottom end in movies to get rid of "bad" noise's)

The sub:

I've got thick skin; if this is a bad idea, let me know what you think! I have never delt with ported/ PR's, sealed was/is so easy.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It's a beautiful cabinet and it'd be a shame to scrap it or sell it for peanuts... but without seeing pictures of the internal bracing, you probably have a better idea of if it can be modded or not.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure I can mod it, I am just not so good with modeling output.

In fact, winisd just crashed on this computer. It does not like 64 bit perhaps?

Anyway, assume this was yours, and you need more output.

Would the gains be worth it? Is there too much volume at 87 liters or so?

About $260 shipped with mass kits.

Here is the 15" PR I am considering from DIY:
http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=685

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Why not try to find another tc2k on ebay and build a second one. You'd get more output at all frequencies. I'm not all together sure that the PR's would give you that much additional output. A little, but it wouldn't be huge.

Or you could always just build your maelstrom like you were saying and list this sub on craigslist or ebay. You'll get some money out of it. I would imagine you might get enough to pay off at least the maelstrom driver.

Very nice cabinet btw.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was the "brains" behind it, but my brother in law helped me more than I helped him.

I am stuck with this foot print, maybe slightly larger. I am probably headed towards an easy button end table up on its end. I just thought if I could get a bit more headroom, I would use this-I think that as nice as it is, I will have to practically give it away. If a couple PR's could make a significant difference, I would give it a shot. But, it would run me $260, a significant payment towards a MAL X or Mach 5 IBL.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You're likely going to get more output and depth from a larger easy-button... pretty box though, maybe find a cheaper driver to toss in it for someone else to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They should clear. The sub is mounted below center, and the pr's can go slightly above center.

Would there 5 or 6 db from 30hz down difference? That *might* be enough headroom to get me through...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can cram two of the diy cables 18" pr's with a little bit of creative cutting away. I could mill out one of the double layers of baffle board, about two inches worth, to fit the 18's. The advantage here is if the operation or result is a failure, I already have two 18'ers for a maelstrom build.....

EDIT: Never mind. 18's depth with mass kit would be too deep when they get 'strokin. 15's only...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yellow - 3.1 cu.ft. sealed. 650 watts - cone excursion reaches Xmax at 20 hz.

Purple - 2.9 cu.ft. - 2 Exodus Audio EX-PR15's with 1600 grams added to each - 800 watts - cone excursion reaches Xmax at 16.5 hz. 10 db gain at 20 hz over sealed. Tuning frequency is 18.7 hz.

Attachment 129730

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm ordering a pair of those!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, if the 2.9 is critical, I'll glue in some bricks on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, silly me.

Now that I have the things here, it is apparent that I needed to measure *TWICE* order once.

I think I can only fit ONE! (On the back)

So. In the meantime, I got to playing with winSD. If I am playing right, it lookls like one will work, with 800 grams, and be about identical?

(I hope?)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know I finally rebuilt "sort of" some old DCM sub boxes I have had sine like 94. Each box had 2 12" speakers OR "subs" if they want to call them that..I took both out..PLUGGED up the bottom hole and put a 12" MOJO in the front hole.

Then I took out all the foam. Stuffed up one of the huge ports and cut off half of the other huge port and they sound awesome.

I need 2 new 500wt plate amps to replace the 2 150wt ones...But other than that, im happy.

So dont be scared to try something. I was and Im glad I finally did.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's gonna go Buh By.

Ordered the Mal X. The cabinet is going to be either 8' cubed with twin PR's, ~ala http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1059962

but squished down to 32" not including the legs;

Or a easy button sealed cube, but squished to 21.5", and a bit taller.

I have a feeling the PR setup could be over kill (is that even possible?) for my modest house. I already have the bassis and a ep2500.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts