AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scoop. I just bought a new tv (Samsung 8500) and a new receiver (Onkyo 607). I need some help putting together a nice 7.1 sound package. I was hoping to incorporate my old DCM KX-10 floor speakers. Its a normal to good size family room with vaulted ceilings. Should I just ditch the old floor speakers and buy a speaker package, or can they be incorporated? I was hoping to stay around 500-600 dollars if possible. I like the smaller speakers these days as they are easy to hide and will probably make the wife happy. The speakers would be used for tv/movie watching, video games for the kids, and of course music. Its a nice tv so I don't want to skimp on the sond either. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you are not looking to skimp on the sound and have a really nice setup, 500-600 it's going to really do the trick. Having smaller speakers is great in a smaller environment, but with vaulted ceilings in a larger room, the smaller speakers may sound lost.

If you really want to stick hard to that budget, the Paradigm Cinema 70 is $650 and will give you terrific quality sound, probably better than some higher priced sets as well and can decently fill the room. It's a full 5.1 setup, and would work great with your receiver.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bowden /forum/post/18279709

Heres the scoop. I just bought a new tv (Samsung 8500) and a new receiver (Onkyo 607). I need some help putting together a nice 7.1 sound package. I was hoping to incorporate my old DCM KX-10 floor speakers. Its a normal to good size family room with vaulted ceilings. Should I just ditch the old floor speakers and buy a speaker package, or can they be incorporated? I was hoping to stay around 500-600 dollars if possible. I like the smaller speakers these days as they are easy to hide and will probably make the wife happy. The speakers would be used for tv/movie watching, video games for the kids, and of course music. Its a nice tv so I don't want to skimp on the sond either. Your advice is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with DCM speakers but I've read some very positive comments here - I'd keep them. While the small satellite speakers are easy to hide they are plain limited just because of their size and can no way compete with the 10" woofer, 6" mid and 0.75" tweeter from your DCMs, especially for music. In fact, from reading a few lines from a quick google search, they're described as "loud and dynamic" which are desirable traits for home theater. If I were you I'd look for a DCM KX-Center to go with the floorstanding speakers you do have. Try Craig's list or there's one on eBay right now that ends in 4 days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DCM-KX-Center-Ch...item45f17be2f9

Use your money to get surrounds and a great subwoofer. Ask the guys over in the speaker section to suggest appropriate surrounds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great advice, I will keep my eyes open for center KCMs. Think I could incorporate those and a KCM center with some type of box system and be set?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've tried before to match little 3" satellite speakers with larger front speakers but they just didn't go deep enough and the difference was distracting...that idea didn't last too long. I think something with at least 4.5" woofers that can go lower than 80Hz would be better. The trick is finding something that fits your room/situation without sticking out too much...if you're concerned about making the wife happy too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The room is probably 16x16 but opens up into the kitchen and dining area, so it seems bigger. I like the sound from the big DCMs that I currently have but might be able to shift those over to the living room or something. Maybe even just get rid of them and start new (and increase my budget). The big thing to me is I want the speaker system to play music for the house (which the DCMs currently do), not just act as theatre speakers.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
16x16 is a pretty small space to stuff 7.1...consider 5.1 instead. It's up to you but really there aren't a lot of 7.1 movies anyway, it leaves more $ for better speakers, and there's less clutter to make the wife happy.

I think you might be disappointed moving from the DCM to satellite speakers for music in the house but, as always, it depends. Satellite speakers might be fine if you turn them all on and just want to casually have music in the house. But if you like to sit down and enjoy or listen to some music then, no, go for at least bookshelf size speakers instead.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
If you like your DCM's I would just keep those get that matching center on ebay. Spend the rest of your money on a subwoofer and surround speakers. If this room opens up into the kitchen and dining area do you even have a place to properly mount 7.1 speakers? The surround back speakers should go behind and above the main listening area at least 3 feet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe 5.1 is the answer. I just figured since the receiver had the capability, I had to use it.
I am a newbie to all this stuff, just now learning about "matching", frequency, etc. Is it hard to match the existing floor speakers with another brand center and rears? Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
7.1 is good but IMO you're not missing out too much with just 5.1. Here's a few resources to help you make that decision:

List of 7.1 movies -> http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/St...itle&Audio=7.1

Proper speaker setup information -> http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Rather than worrying if another center will match well enough I'd go for the DCM on eBay (confirm that's the right one on your own). It's at a reasonable price at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts