Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I was told to come by this forum for the help I needed. I searched before posting, but was unable to find info based on my idea. First, I'm 25 and this is our first house. We have been in a year and plan on maybe 6-8 more depending on how large our family gets. I have a MIT-55511 with Rocket 750/200/250 +SVS in the living room. Now all major projects are complete I can dink around down in the basement. I'm now thinking FP and nice system for the basement, but wondering if I will be able to get very good sound (thinking of upgrading to either JM Labs, Onix Ref, or Dynaudio Contour) that would justify new speaker purchase.

The room is 14'x24' and three walls will be the embossed brick concrete walls. The other will be insulated and drywall. We plan on berber carpet for nearly all of the floor, but at the bottom of the staris I'm thinking of putting a cork or tile floor for when we have muddy kids just at the bottom of the stairs. There will probably be some sort of sectional couch and a small bar in very back corner (no plumbing though). We want to go with an industrial look in which the ceiling is painted showing all exposed wires and such. The duct work is terrible in our house in that it goes everywhere and the guys must have been loaded when laying it out. I don't want to move all this around to allow for drop ceiling (that and putting a drop in will make the room really small.

What types of acoustic treatment would you suggest? The wife is ok with wall treatment as I've run that by her already. Do I have options other than the foam w/ ridges and such?? Any panels I could have her wrp in a fabric she likes to add "character" to the room? Just wondering if it is worth the money to put a nice theater in such a "live" room. Just that when I have the 2yr old sleeping upstairs, the current system will wake them for sure where it is at. Would like to get a place where the wife and I can watch films and retreat.

Thanks,

SC

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not so much about FP in the basement as it is help on whether or not it is worthwhile spending the extra loot on a better system in such an environment. Thanks for your help. Yes the computer is on.....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
scervin-

I have a similar Rocket setup (750/200/300) that was in a living room and went to the basement when we moved to a new house. I think you should hold off on a new speaker purchase until you can hear them in your new room. They sure sounded a helluva lot better in my basement then in my living room (before I knew anything about accoustics). On the speaker forums everybody is always talking about such subtle differences between speakers (probably inaudible to most people), but it seems like nobody even questions or gives a hoot about room accoustics which is the most important thing. Just a slight change in shape of a wall, positioning, or a little accoustical treatment can really change the way your speakers sound. And another point, when you get the theater set up, most of the wow factor (IMO) comes from the projected image, not the sound. When you're watching a HD football game, or immersed in the imagery of a movie, would you rather have that 3,000 bucks towards slightly better sound (maybe not even better) or towards a drastically better projector?

Edit- Forgot to mention about the panels- rigid fiberglass wrapped in fabric is a popular choice here for panels.

I'm also thinking about your three concrete walls. Take this with a grain of salt because I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're going to have some serious reflections there. The panels will take care of some of the higher frequencies but the bass is going to be tough. A lot of people choose to cover their entire front wall with theatershield/linacoustic/rigid fiberglass and the side walls up to ear level to help with absorption.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scervin,

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would say go for it. Nearly everybody here has something about their proposed HT that is less than ideal. My basement HT is too small and has low ceilings and I have to share it with my two young kids! I have a limited budget and I'm doing the best I can with the available resources.

It really isn't that expensive to get into FP. I spent $1000 on a X1 (perfect starter projector) and purchased a high-quality, yet low cost audio/video system. For each component I spent an incredible amount of time in the appropriate forum. I had a budget and basicially went with the best product I could for my budget.

If you have concerns/problems about your room, you WILL find specific answers that solve those problems. However, I have found you have to be very specific about your question. There are loads of threads about sound treatment and sound proofing along with the various other points you mention. Once you get a general idea and framework, break this into individual chunks and focus your effort there.

Good luck!

Steven

·
Registered
213 Posts
At the risk of raising a slight issue, Chris states that few people pay any attention to room acoustics.. I suspect that is well off the mark. Most of the frequenters of the forum are very much aware how room acoustics can make or break a system. I suspect with several concrete walls you will have some serious reflection issues, not only bass, but that will be prominent. What Ethan failed to mention is he currently has a power buy running that might be a very good bang for your buck upgrade, to actually hear what your system is capable of in that setting. Certainly would be a waste to upgrade without addressing the room acoustics.

Jeff

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the site referral, it is much needed information. I will probably build a half wall behind the speakers as well, now that I think about it. It seems that the 703 DIY panels work best if away from the wall. Would you put the 703 panels on both sides if attaching directly to the wall? before I purchase any new gear. I'm wel aware of the fact that there will be issues with reflections, I'm wondering if in order to fully combat the problem must frame walls along the concrete and how much better will that be than placing 3 or 4 panels on all of the walls?

Thanks,

SC

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could probably get away with putting the in the corner of the front walls, but not the back. I meant two sides as in both sides of the plywood going the DIY route. I can probably get each 1-2" off the wall so they would be 4" from the wall total. I'm thinking 3 a side wall, 2 on framed fron, 1 each front corner, 2 hung from ceiling and inch or so at first reflection point and 2 on rea wall. Does the amount of carpet padding do anything to help? I was thinking 6-8 lb. pad with berber for the floor. The wife kinda liked the idea of being able to wrap in color fabric to give the room some life. Now that I think about it more, it might be just as expensive to have 3 framed walls with like R-25 as it would be to hang all the other stuff. That and it will protrude into the room just as much. I'll have to talk it over with the wife. A half wall might not be sod bad for drinks, could put treatments above this

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also thinking about an exposed "industrial" looking ceiling with everything sprayed a flat black. I also have low ceilings with some pipes here an there that would make it hard to put a ceiling up.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.