AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using iTunes and was wondering what format should i encode my songs in? I'm trying to achieve the highest possible quality from my cd's. How big the songs are aren't really a problem for me. I am currently using mp3 encoding with the songs in 320 kbps/stero. I've been reading that mp3 format isn't going to give me the best quality possible. Using iTunes i have these formats available; AAC, AIFF, Apple Loseless, WAV, and MP3 .

I appreciate anyone's help.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uv7x77 /forum/post/16989981

I'm using iTunes and was wondering what format should i encode my songs in? I'm trying to achieve the highest possible quality from my cd's. How big the songs are aren't really a problem for me. I am currently using mp3 encoding with the songs in 320 kbps/stero. I've been reading that mp3 format isn't going to give me the best quality possible. Using iTunes i have these formats available; AAC, AIFF, Apple Loseless, WAV, and MP3 .

I appreciate anyone's help.

"trying to achieve the highest possible quality from my cd's."

WAV is not compressed (not as familiar with AIFF, but I believe it is or can be non-compressed). For best quality, look no further.

Apple Lossless is the better of the other compression formats, but obviously takes up a bit more room.

shane

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
WAV and AIFF are uncompressed, and sonically identical to the original CD.

Apple Lossless is data-compressed—it can be un-compressed to exactly the same file you started with. So, again, it is sonically identical to the original CD (assuming that's what you're starting with).

MP3 and AAC are perceptual codecs—they remove information from the file, which cannot be restored. So they are not sonically identical to the original CD. But they try to remove things you either won't notice or that won't bother you too much (hence "perceptual").

If you want top quality, WAV, AIFF and Apple Lossless will all give it to you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just remember that WAV files cannot be ID3 tagged with song name, artist, genre etc. Major problem when i comes to sorting files, especially on iTunes. I would use ALAC(Apple Lossless Audio Codec) over AIFF too b/c external devices like Sonos, Squeezebox, Apple TV, and Roku Soundbridge all let you stream ALAC files to your stereo and output via optical/toslink to your AV receiver. Huge plus in addition to the 50% compression without loss of audio quality. If you have an iPod, I think ALAC is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Just to clarify the apple loseless will sound sonically the same as the cd right?

Yep. When you uncompress it, you get exactly the same bits back. That's what "lossless" means.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Haha stupid me. will the song automatically uncompress when i play it from itunes?

It better. Otherwise, you won't hear anything.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
786 Posts
If you have an iPod the ALAC format is the best format you can hope for. If you are using a device that supports FLAC this is just another lossless codec. If you are used to iTunes search for a plugin that allows FLAC playback or that puts the files in a container that iTunes can play.

I use fluke on my mac which does this and imports them to iTunes. I mainly use this for concerts that I download and then cross convert to ALAC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts