AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've literally spent days researching this stuff and am getting worn out...especially when contrast ratios don't apparently mean much of anything and there is no good way to go see these in action. :/

Budget
I'm solidly in the

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Viewsonic Px727/747-4K have a solid rep for sharp optics, and mine was very sharp - no 3D though. See my review and comments here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3060710-viewsonic-4k-px747-750-a.html#post58093360

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3060710-viewsonic-4k-px747-750-a-2.html#post59539774 (also see my other posts in this short thread.)

Also my UHD50 is very sharp:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2947088-optoma-uhd50-50.html#post58387974

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3137626-projector-screenshot-eye-candy-thread-7.html#post59534024

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3137626-projector-screenshot-eye-candy-thread-7.html#post59535838

The UHD50 is 3D BD ready via a firmware update.

I'd also suggest looking at a ZH403/406 laser projector. I'd also suggest that most UHD60s are sharp. Amazon has a good return policy, if the unit doesn't meet your needs.
Thank you for the suggestions, DunMunro. I'm leaning towards a little nicer, but that 727 does sound interesting at the price! I'm not worried about 3D at all.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ah... that's alot of boxes to tick off XD

2160p resolution is tricky when the panel is 0.7" wide

PC desktop performance is tricky due to other aspects of projection that affect sharpness, like panel convergence and lens chromatic aberration.

Good lens focus/uniformity is first and foremost a characteristic of the quality of the lens, which adds unavoidable cost. Additionally, solid state(led/laser) light sources typically impart better uniformity.

A low black floor makes for a more expensive projector.

HDR has 3 primary image factors, contrast(contrast is dynamic range, high dynamic range), light output(though with dynamic tone mapping SDR light output is acceptable, of course highlights will be better with twice the light output if you can maintain contrast), and a wide color gamut.

So let's see...

You've got a good handle on the LCD projectors.

XPR DLP(the projectors you listed):
-2160p resolution;
-Average color performance with uhp lamps and rgbw/rygwb color wheels, good color performance with rgbcym/rgbrgb wheels and if a color filter is added but reduced light output, good/better color performance with rgb leds, excellent color performance with wide gamut rgb leds;
-High black floor/low contrast;
-Poor pc desktop support due to pixel shifting and overlap;
-Typically budget lenses and uhp bulbs with average focus, uniformity, and chromatic aberration;
-Single panel no misconvergence; rainbow artifacts.
-Average HDR

LCOS(JVC/Sony):
-1080p resolution, single shift enhanced 1080p resolution; or native uhd resolution;
-Good color performance, good/better with a color filter and less light loss;
-Low black floor/high contrast, though typically lower ansi contrast, which can impact sharpness due to haloing;
-Desktop performance impacted by panel misconvergence; good quality lenses with good focus, uniformity, and chromatic aberration.
-Good HDR

Older 0.95" RGB LED DLP or 3-Chip DLP(Runco, Sim2):
-1080p resolution;
-Excellent color performance;
-Good black floor, better than xpr dlp but not as good as LCOS, but with higher ansi contrast;
-Excellent desktop performance unless you need 2160p;
-Typically good quality lenses with good focus, uniformity, and chromatic abberation, some excellent quality lenses and when combined with a solid state light source has excellent uniformity.
-The single chip rgb led projectors are the sharpest with no panel misconvergence, the 3chip projectors may have some if only slight panel misconvergence.
-Good HDR

Additionally improved HDR is had by use of dynamic tone mapping, the most recent JVCs are the only projectors which include it, but if you use a PC and madvr you can use it with any projector.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Oh forgot motion for gaming.

Best: 3chip DLP / RGB led/laser DLP: Comparable to CRT/Plasma. 0.01ms black to white pixel response time, impulse display technology. No or drastically reduced rainbows.

6x+ color wheel DLP. Reduced motion persistence due to flicker introduced by the color wheel. more rainbows with slower color wheels, especially the dreaded rgbw!

LCOS: 3-5ms black to white pixel response with overshoot compensation.

LCD: 10ms black to white pixel response time.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Forgot input lag, sorry lol

So almost all except the most recent XPR DLP projectors have very high input lag, as do the JVC/Sonys, except for the new ones which have a 30-40ms low lag mode. Something more recent like that uhd50x has much better input lag. 16ms at high resolution/refresh rates and 8ms at lower.

The Epsons have good input lag, around 16-20ms. Most of the old nice DLP projectors have similar 16ms input lag as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you... so it sounds like in my budget, I'm looking for a future that isn't here yet. :) I'm going to have to settle on something non-magical and look again in 5 years or so. :)
Leaning towards the HT5550, hoping for the improved sharpness over Epson and nearly equivalent blacks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The ht5550 isnt as bright as the epson. The epson is 2000 high lamp 1500 low lamp calibrated. The ht5550 is 1500/1000 calibrated. Contrast is about the same(600:1) except the epsons iris is more aggressive(20k:1 dynamic vs the benqs 4k:1), i.e. lower black floor at the cost of compression/clipping. When you chop off the 20% for bulb age the ht5550 is going to have a tougher time lighting up your screen. Youll have to use high lamp, which means more heat, less bulb life, higher fan noise.

I wouldnt recommend jvcs for desktop use due to the price of bulbs and the projectors dump more heat into the room.

Is 2160p resolution very important? For gaming? Or?

Often people use multi projector setups when theyre doing more than just watching video.

(・。・) 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts