AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i have an infocus x9 projector

it's 720p, quite bright, black levels are ok, but could use a little help

will be going with about a 130" screen. is that too big for 720p? i can sit as far back as i like, room is long

room has two windows, with thick curtains. there will be ambient light, but not too much, it's a big bedroom, not a livingroom, no lights on during use

the wall is a quite nice, flat texture. has a tan paint on it at the moment. i probably will be repainting the entire room before doing this, but i probably won't be painting it very dark, so there'll be a pretty white ceiling and slightly darker walls, not very dark

i'd like a rather simple solution. i'd prefer to roll rather than spray if possible, but actually i would consider spraying.

i'd rather not mix too many different things, but again, as long as it's not too difficult i'll do it

i'm thinking of a light grey, maybe with a clear topcoat? what do you think? i don't think the wall will need a primer as long as the paint evens out pretty well. it's just drywall, and it has little bumps, but it's about as flat as drywall gets, so i think it's a pretty good surface

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how about

Mix 4 parts 4850(N8) with one part Minwax Clear Satin Polycrylic

maybe a layer of beyer 4850 and then mix it with the minwax and do a second layer like that? sounds pretty good to me

the x9 is very bright, but i can use low lamp mode

should i roll or spray this? i'd consider either. i don't have the best technique; i'm an amateur painter at best

if i should spray, what sprayer should i get? if i should roll, what rollers? thanks a lot. certainly a simple mix like this appeals to my noob nature

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzibear /forum/post/18262813

how about

Mix 4 parts 4850(N8) with one part Minwax Clear Satin Polycrylic

A N8 w/poly will certainly help the Blacks more than a Unity White 1.0 gain surface would, but it won't be 1.0 gain....it'll be about .85 or so. While at 100" that might fine, and at 110" acceptable, at 130" ou heading downward into "Dim"

Quote:
maybe a layer of beyer 4850 and then mix it with the minwax and do a second layer like that? sounds pretty good to me

You'd need to up the ratio of Poly toaint to 3:1 at least to get any translucent effect that would allow the underlying surface to have any impact...but in any case that would be very minimal. Far better to use a bright white Paint or Primer under 2-3 very thin coats of a 3:1 mix.

Quote:
the x9 is very bright, but i can use low lamp mode

Ya thin so? Not so far as I can tell at 130" with you chosen paint scheme.

Quote:
should i roll or spray this? i'd consider either. i don't have the best technique; i'm an amateur painter at best

That is what makes spraying such a great equalizer. You can get Pro-level results with only a teeny weenie bit of practice.

Quote:
if i should spray, what sprayer should i get? if i should roll, what rollers? thanks a lot. certainly a simple mix like this appeals to my noob nature

I'm sure it does...but is it the right choice...and/or will it perform up to your hopes and desires.

Let me advise you to follow my new Thread (New Jersey Style 134" SF on Drywall Screen) before you decide on a definite course to take.

I'll be using the Wagner Control Spray (...the Spray Gun of choice for DIY'ers) I'll be posting Videos of Paint mixing as well as the spray technique. Then the end results. Judge for yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i think i'll go with 120"

that gives me a foot on either side of the screen and the side walls. and i'm thinking i'll paint the entire wall around the screen black. and also put a black curtain rod over teh screen, and hang some black velvet curtains on either side for a nice look

also i see i'll need some more light control than my curtains. so i'll put some pull-down light-blocking blinds over the windows

should i go with a grey or white? maybe a light n9 grey????

projection calculator says that at 120" i'm well within the "for rooms with ambient light" category, and the black levels on the pj aren't great, and it's apparently very bright, so maybe a light grey? thanks for all the help, really appreciate it

i guess i'll spray and use that wagner sprayer; before i put this up i have a wall to knock down and two little bedrooms to turn into one long one. so lots of time to think about it. i bought a 73" screen when i was gonna put this in my little living room, and i'll set it up with that in my little bedroom and be able to see how bright it is and such

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so i'm thinking beyer silverscreen; what do ya think? should i mix in poly?

maybe:

sand down the wall which has light tan paint (yes? no? what grain sandpaper?)

couple coats of 3:1 behr SS and minwax poly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, i'm sure that it will be 120" at most; that gives me only 6" between the edge of the screen and the side walls; do i need more? i think i might hang a thin curtain of black velvet (maybe a foot in width, bunched up so only covers the 6")

.....anyway, so:

1. lightly sand the wall to remove bumps and some of the previous paint, i don't need to strip all the paint do i??

2. SPRAY a layer or two of behr SS and then a coat or two of behrSS with minwax clear poly mixed in 3:1

3. paint black around the screen, to the edges on the sides and maybe a foot or two top and bottom; what type of black paint to soak up stray light and....welll, you know what it's for????

........what do ya think???

i def. need more light ccontrol so i'm thinking put another curtain over the current curtains (light white)........maybe BOC. funny, to actually use balck out cloth for its intended purpose
......ok, i could get some roll-down window covers, but the BOC curtains seems good enough.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts