AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have done my research and here is what I have decided to go with. I am going to order some ascend CBM 170 bookshelf speakers and an svs pb10-isd sub. For now, I will just go with this setup and eventually add some surround speakers. So I am in the market for an economical 5 channel receiver. I figure I would rather save money on a receiver and upgrade this once I get more speakers and a bigger apartment. Here are the contenders so far:

- panasonic xr55

- HK 135 or maybe a refurb

- onkyo tx-sr502 or 503

- denon avr 685s, denon avr-1705, denon avr avr-485s

?? Since I only want a five channel should I avoid the 6 and 7 channel receivers and stick to a five. Or should I get a 6 or 7 channel??

I am trying to piece together my first surround sound system but because I am buying a TV (my wega broke) I have a limited budget. Any advice will be greatly appreciated whether on speaker choice or amps. thanks :D

help me pull the trigger

·
Registered
164 Posts
Definitely the XR55 when compared to the other analouge amps you have listed. Much better sound quality, if that is the major factor you are going after.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Panasonic is not an audio company (great video however). The Ascends are very accurate and revealing speakers, so you may hear harshness from cheap digital amps (or cheap amps period). I recommend a H/K receiver, perhaps the AVR 335. H/K amps are superior to other receivers at the same price point. Refurb direct from H/K is a great idea also IMO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
Panasonic is not an audio company (great video however). The Ascends are very accurate and revealing speakers, so you may hear harshness from cheap digital amps (or cheap amps period). I recommend a H/K receiver, perhaps the AVR 335. H/K amps are superior to other receivers at the same price point. Refurb direct from H/K is a great idea also IMO.
Have you tried one of the Panasonic amps before?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've never heard the Ascend speakers before. However, I do own the following receivers:

- Panny XR55

- H/K AVR-125

Both receivers are great performers. While the treble on the XR55 can be a bit bright, it can be adjusted downwards a bit. When it comes to mid-range and bass response, both receivers do a great job. Getting a newer H/K receiver will provide you with more crossover options for the subwoofer - and not fixed at 100Hz like my H/K is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am now between the panny and a HK refurb. Which leads back to an old question, should I get a 5 channel or 6/7 channel HK? I am new to theater so any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
h/k 135

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutphisher
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am now between the panny and a HK refurb. Which leads back to an old question, should I get a 5 channel or 6/7 channel HK? I am new to theater so any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks :)
It doesn't hurt to have 5 channel set up with 6/7 channel receiver now and can be expanded to 6/7 channel later if needed/wanted.

Out of all the receivers you listed, the XR55 had my vote. If you have the HK635 on your list, it'd be a tougher call between the Pany XR55 and the HK635.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasnt sure whether or not I would get more bang for the buck if I stuck with 5 channel as opposed to the 6/7 channels. But thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutphisher
I wasnt sure whether or not I would get more bang for the buck if I stuck with 5 channel as opposed to the 6/7 channels. But thanks for the advice. :)

There are very few recievers that are only 5.1 anymore, and the ones that does exist are typically very low end

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I would pick an HK over a Panasonic any day, now not to start a flame war here, I have had both and from a sonic standpoint I would have to say the HK is more musical as far as my "ears" are concerned. Now with that being said, the HK quality has come down a tad, there 520 - 525 or 20 - 25 series where damn good, don't really like there new look. Now other brands are Denon and Onkyo which are now very good values. Also 7 channel is nice to have but that is going to depend on room size etc. My friend has a small to medium size room and he just bought a 7 channel system and we tested with both 5.1 and 7.1 and there was a moderate difference at best. Now on large size room is where this will benefit even more.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
U will really like the 503 model. Very easy to use. I own both 503 & 602 and sometimes I think the 602 is overkill, it just has way to much stuff on it to tweek. The 503 has some tweeks but all can be easily done to your configerations w/o using the manual and the remote is really easy to use while setting up. In the dark,, buttons are easy to mess with.

503 is honestly a veryy very nice unit. Powerfull at that also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyones help. I have now narrowed down my decision to 2 receivers:

HK avr 235

onkyo tx-sr503

Looks like this weekend I am going to go audition both and then after a little haggling (sp?). I will walk out with a receiver!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.