AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built 3, 88 specials DIY speakers for my theater. I would like to place at least the center if not all of them behind the screen. Room is 145 inches wide and 20 feet long and 8 foot high. Right now I have a DIY 120inch wilson countertop screen with a Epson 5030ub projector. First row of seats is at 11 feet. I was thinking of just mounting the speakers on the wall and hanging the screen in the air. I have a drop ceiling also. Or if I really need to build a false wall and put the speakers in it. Not a huge deal as I built all the walls in the theater so extending one it's huge deal (just a huge mess lol). So any idea's are welcome. Would like to stay in the 140inch to 150inch diag or 127inch to 137inch wide size. Just hunting for ideas on the best way to go around doing this. Thanks for any input .. Here is a picture of how it stands right now with the new speakers for testing. Just ignore the high tech speaker stands lol Also there is a full size Marty Sub I have to put some where.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,183 Posts
Ya got the lumen s available, so here is but one of several representative builds to consider. It too incorporates a Wall with the Screen Frame (2x4) set on the outside of the framed Wall.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...ht-silver-milliskin-spandex-screen-build.html

It's not quite 140" diagonal, but close, and the PJ is a Panny 8000, which has marginally less lumen output.

If you build your frame at 58" x 133" O.D. so that you have a unrestricted 54" x 129" "screen surface" after trimming. and you set the Epson at a 14' - 11" throw (Lens to screen) you'll get 14 fls, which is certainly bright enough for a dedicated Theater.

Use White Milliskin over either Light Silver (preferred) or Black Milliskin.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info all I have been doing is reading about Milliskin Spandex. Looks like I'll be ordering some soon. Going to build a false wall about a foot deep. That will give me about 12.5 inches behind the screen. There only 9inches deep so should have plenty of room. Also can tuck half of the Marty into the wall. Can't wait to have that nice flat wall look. No speakers distracting from the experience. Just a huge screen. I'll update as I start Building..

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
If you find the spandex to be too dim (unlikely unless you're using the Epson on cinema and maybe eco-lamp) with the larger screen-size, there's also the option of using dark spandex to either side and below the screen while using a nonAT material for the screen itself (another wilson or maybe flexi-white, etc..). You'd lose the ability to have speakers directly behind the screen but would still have the same smooth/hidden aesthetic and about 50% more brightness.

The 5030 outputs 800-1600lumens (depending on the present you prefer) which will drop to about 600-1200lumens if you like the extra quiet+lamplife of eco-lamp..and a bit more if you mount farther back. An 11ft-wide spandex screen will need all 1600lumens to reach 16ftL (full lamp+livingroom preset+closest mounting), though most are alright with less ftL in a dark dedicated theater and a full AT screen should be awesome.

Just consider this a possible plan-B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts