AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was hearing and following up on projectors months ago.. was interested in the Epson ls? laser..
Total newbie here.. so need help.. here are the specs .. looking for projector for around 5k
thank you for your input.. here is additional information
room is 24 deep and 17 wide
ceilings is 10 feet high.
back of room will have row of four theater chairs at distance of 20 feet- these can be on riser.. but projector above chairs.
so projector will be about 22 feet from screen at farthest point .. can move closer if need be .
in front of those at about 16 feet couches, or additional chairs ushaped couch so parts may be a little closer
basement can be blacked out.. but might have some light occasionally as rest of basement has pool table ect on other end.
would like to have 4k upscaling.. is this worth it?
primary viewing most likely on couch that is about 16 feet away.
room is light controlled only two window wells to contend with .. blinds no issue.
Very limited 3D viewing. most likely not a factor at all. but I want to be sure the screen works with 3D.. but 4k upscaling.
what is largest screen I can get. screen recommendations 16:9 or otherwise?
would be watching movies in darkenss. television most likely in ambient light.
was thinking of doing a automatic drop down screen with tv screen behind for when we have more action going on in basement.
no beams in the path such as ducts ect.
sound is open to debate .. start off with standalone and maybe move up from there.
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
If you are considering the Epson LS10000 (but it costs $8K, not $5K), then in your situation I would go with a 'scope' screen with an aspect ratio of between 2.35:1 and 2.40.1. As for size of the screen, if you stay with the 16 ft. seating distance, for the first row, then you should have a fairly large screen but the larger the screen the less bright the image. Perhaps using a 150 inch diagonal screen with gain of 1.3 (such as a Stewart screen using their StudioTek 130 screen material) would be a good choice. Also in order to keep the picture brightness up (especially for 3D viewing) you should mount the projector toward the closer end of the projector-to-screen throw distance range supported by the projector's zoom lens for your screen size. For a 150" diagonal 2.35:1 screen the width of the screen is just over 138" and the minimum throw distance for the LS10000 to fill that screen width is about 15 ft. Perhaps mounting the projector at around 16 ft. to 17 ft. would work for you (i.e., with the projector mounted directly above or just behind the first row seats). With a 150 inch (diagonal) 2:35:1 'scope' screen having a gain of 1.3 the image brightness in 2D mode and with the projector calibrated and operating in high power mode and with the manual iris fully open would still be a fairly bright at about 19 foot lamberts when viewing scope movies, but much brighter (33 FtL so would probably drop back to medium laser power in that case) when the image size is zoomed down for viewing regular 16 x 9 content (basically a 120" diagonal 16 x 9 size). In any case 3D brightness will not be great, but for the occasional viewing you may find it just acceptable in scope mode, but significantly brighter when viewed in 16 x 9 mode.

If you haven't already seen them, check out the reviews below for the LS10000.

Review of LS10000: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-ls10000-laser-home-theater-projector-review/
Update to the above review: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-pro-cinema-ls10000-projector-review-update/
LS10000 Video Summary: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson-pro-cinema-ls10000-projector-review-summary

If you really need to keep the price at $5K or under, consider a JVC DLA-RS4910 with a MSRP of $5K but a street price much less (review at the link below). The screen considerations and projector placement would be similar for the JVC as discussed above for the Epson LS10000.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs4910-and-dla-rs49-projector-review/

·
Registered
30,421 Posts
was hearing and following up on projectors months ago.. was interested in the Epson ls? laser..
Total newbie here.. so need help.. here are the specs .. looking for projector for around 5k
thank you for your input.. here is additional information
room is 24 deep and 17 wide
ceilings is 10 feet high.
back of room will have row of four theater chairs at distance of 20 feet- these can be on riser.. but projector above chairs.
so projector will be about 22 feet from screen at farthest point .. can move closer if need be .
in front of those at about 16 feet couches, or additional chairs ushaped couch so parts may be a little closer
basement can be blacked out.. but might have some light occasionally as rest of basement has pool table ect on other end.
would like to have 4k upscaling.. is this worth it?
primary viewing most likely on couch that is about 16 feet away.
room is light controlled only two window wells to contend with .. blinds no issue.
Very limited 3D viewing. most likely not a factor at all. but I want to be sure the screen works with 3D.. but 4k upscaling.
what is largest screen I can get. screen recommendations 16:9 or otherwise?
would be watching movies in darkenss. television most likely in ambient light.
was thinking of doing a automatic drop down screen with tv screen behind for when we have more action going on in basement.
no beams in the path such as ducts ect.
sound is open to debate .. start off with standalone and maybe move up from there.
thank you in advance.
With a budget of 5K, the Epson laser is out of the running. We need to determine what aspect ratio screen would be best for you. If much TV is involved, then 16:9. If mainly movies, then consider a scope screen. As for projectors in your budget, Sony HW40ES, Sony HW55ES and JVC RS4910. A little above your budget, RS6710 B-stock. Give us a call and we can talk about the options for projector, screen and audio.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input..

ok as a follow up and starting to learn a lot.. thank you to everyone for the education

the option to mount closer is fine. front row seating can be 12 or 14 feet. I have an are to fill in the back that is at lets say 19 that's why I mentioned the back
in other words seating first row is 14 feet. then row of charis and bar stand and stools.\

here is the follow up..

is the sony vpl vw350 brighter. ? if I spend the extra $ for the projector now is it worth it. ? would prefer largest screen possible without sacrifice as to brightnees.
I guess I can do a search of comparing the sony to the Epson. other contenders?

thanks

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
thanks for the input..

ok as a follow up and starting to learn a lot.. thank you to everyone for the education

the option to mount closer is fine. front row seating can be 12 or 14 feet. I have an are to fill in the back that is at lets say 19 that's why I mentioned the back
in other words seating first row is 14 feet. then row of charis and bar stand and stools.\

here is the follow up..

is the sony vpl vw350 brighter. ? if I spend the extra $ for the projector now is it worth it. ? would prefer largest screen possible without sacrifice as to brightnees.
I guess I can do a search of comparing the sony to the Epson. other contenders?

thanks

The Sony VW350es with a new lamp has very similar light output (calibrated) as the Epson LS10000. The VW350es uses a traditional lamp so its lumens will go down perhaps 15% - 20% after the first few hundred hours of use then slowly decrease after that until the lamp is replaced (perhaps every 3000 hr. of use where you may have lost 50% of the brightness). The LS10000 uses lasers rated at 17,000 in brightest mode or 30,000 hours in the dimmer Eco mode and the lasers will very slowly dim over time (drop 50% at those rated hours of life).

The link below is a review of the VW350es:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-vw350es-home-theater-projector-review/

Projector Reviews will be publishing a direct comparison of the LS10000 vs. VW350es very soon.

·
Registered
30,421 Posts
The Sony VW350es with a new lamp has very similar light output (calibrated) as the Epson LS10000. The VW350es uses a traditional lamp so its lumens will go down perhaps 15% - 20% after the first few hundred hours of use then slowly decrease after that until the lamp is replaced (perhaps every 3000 hr. of use where you may have lost 50% of the brightness). The LS10000 uses lasers rated at 17,000 in brightest mode or 30,000 hours in the dimmer Eco mode and the lasers will very slowly dim over time (drop 50% at those rated hours of life). The link below is a review of the VW350es

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-vw350es-home-theater-projector-review/

Projector Reviews will be publishing a direct comparison of the LS10000 vs. VW350es very soon.
Lots of things to figure out. You said the front row is a couch at 16'. Is that to the seat or the viewing distance? Is the back row recliners? If so, then 4' between rows is not enough space. Also need to calculate sight lines. To do this, we have to work out the following:

1. Viewing distance
2. Screen mounting height to image?
3. Riser height? (A riser will be required)
4. Screen aspect ratio?
5. Mounting location of projector. (The above items determine where the projector can be mounted)

Be happy to help you work these items out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts