AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i've been doing some research and can't find my answer so here it goes.

i'm setting up a system in my patio, nothing super HQ, just something that gets the job done. i got a 46" aquos and now am looking at a reciver for my speakers. my qustion is, how do i wire my components to the reciver? what i mean is, i have a vcr, dvd, cable, and in the future a blueray player. i was planning on running everything to my reciver then running 2 HDMI's to the tv (in wall) but i was told that i can use the hdmi for sending signals from my vcr and dvd players, is that true?

also, i'll be doing a similar setup in another room but the components will be on the other side of the wall so i was wondering what i could use to control them. a lot of people say to get a IR/RF remote and others say to use IR targets and repeaters but that sounds like its more work for the same result. another reason i wanted the remote was to have light control. I'M CONFUSED.

sorry, for the long read and noob question but i've spent so much time trying to figure this out and get the right answers that i'm going crazy. lol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
"Patio"??? is this going outside? Hopefully not since the weather might not be very kind to your components. An AVR with two HDMI outputs is not going to be "nothing super HQ" so I'm not sure what AVR you had in mind. But generally if you are buying a current year AVR with HDMI in and out, the inputs into the AVR will go out through the HDMI. So if you connect your VCR (likely with composite output) to you AVR's composit input, it will send the signal out the HDMI. Some AVRs will upscale that signal and send it out anywhere from 480P to 1080P. Your cable box may have S-video (or may be HDMI if it is HD), these would be routed also and upscaled if sent S-video. My SD DirecTiVo goes in my Pio 92 via S-vid and gets sent out 720P (my TV is only 720P). The BD will have HDMI, it will go in via HDMI and out HDMI but will not be upscaled.

If the AVR is in another room in most cases you will be "commanding in the blind" since most will not display your changes on the TV screen. Some may display volume in some circustances but not say surround settings, or other displays. If you want to do this you need to really research your options.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for the reply. so if i do connect the vcr to the reciver via composite cables, i will still be able to run ONLY hdmi to the tv? my house is being built right now so this is all going in wall, thats why i'm trying to sort everything out right now. the patio is enclosed so its kind of like a living room or game room. i'm not looking for anything super HQ, just need to work and make good use of my 720 tv. the only thing i want to make sure is that i won't have problems running a vcr/dvd with composit to the reciver then hdmi to the tv, thats what i was told before. is that a mith or something?

as for the remote, i don't need to be able to go into the tv's menu to make adjustments to the picture or anything, i just want to be able to see the tv's guide, volume....

thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i checked the codes before i started so i'm ok. i just want to make sure everthing is hooked up right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i've been doing some more research and it looks like not all recivers can change a analog signal to be sent through HDMI, am i right on this? if so, which recivers can do it? i would like to run only 2 hdmi cables in wall to the tv for a cleaner/easier setup but i don't know what type of reciver to look for.

thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW. that is way more then i wanted to spend. where can i find more that have this feature? and thank you very much for the reply?

also, what is zone 2? does that mean i can send another HDMI out to another tv somewhere else?

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratreo /forum/post/13012214

WOW. that is way more then i wanted to spend. where can i find more that have this feature? and thank you very much for the reply?

also, what is zone 2? does that mean i can send another HDMI out to another tv somewhere else?

Well... how much would you like to spend? There are lots of options available, knowing how much you want to spend will help others help you.

Also, zone 2 means you can have your AVR sending sound to your main speakers, and sending a different audio source to a 2nd set of speakers (typically just 2) in a different room. Nice for patio speakers, for example.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You are not providing enough info for people to help you here. For example, what components are going in what room? Are you looking for one AVR to run two TV in separate rooms? Something like that is not going to be cheap. You might be better off buying two cheaper AVRs and have two independent rooms, more flexible too.

But... here's what I'd suggest... most AVR companies publish connection guides. You can download them where you find the user manuals. This will show you what is connected to where. Then draw a diagram of where all your components and speakers are going and draw in the connections based on the connection guide. Then add additional connections for future use. It will be a lot cheaper to do this now than later.

Then go to Monoprice.com and buy your cables there. They have a wide selection of in-wall rated cables, they are fast, cheap, good quality.

If you are getting a BD player, to make maximum use of the lossless sound you will want an AVR that has TrueHD and HD MA. These are not features onn entry level AVRs. The Onkyo 805 and Pio Elite 92 have these. You can get the onkyo 805 refurbushed for under $600 last I saw.

Good luck. And it is better to have more cable in the wall than too little.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
If you need to send an HDMI signal to another room, check out the matrixing Monoprice switcher. Four in and two out. You could then run two HDMI out.

Zone 2 in most receivers at modest cost is audio only.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check out the Marantz 4001 or 5001.It should do what you need it to do from what your post states. Good solid units and they sound awsome with good speakers. It has an HDMI output to your TV. Many inputs or all kinds so you should be able to hook all your stuff up. I seen the refurb. 4001 going for $250.00 or so and that's adeal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you all for the help. sorry i did not post a price, i don't know where something like this would start.

i looked at the marantz 4002 and it seems nice but by the looks of the manual, you can't use just one hdmi to send all of the signals from every component. i've been thinking about this and have this idea, how about i run 2 hdmi and 1 set of component cables to the tv from the rec.? its more wiring than i wanted to do but it's all in wall and seems like it will makes things a lot easier.

i've ordered a couple of things on parts express but most of my cables have come from monoprice, esp. love the wall mount that was only $25, now if i can only find a articulating mount that is not $500+ :/

anyway, what my plans are for the patio is just having the tv, vcr, dvd, cable, cd player and maybe bluray. its nothing like a hardcore HT setup like most of the people here have, i just want sound throughout the whole patio instead of just comming out of the tv. i have 5 ceiling speakers and 1 SW. also, i would like to have 2 out door speakers on the deck but don't know if i should use the same rec. with, i guess a zone 2 feature? or just run another reciver, cd, and tape deck for that. the deck only needs music.

i know its a lot of reading so thank you for your time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You already have the best solution - SN R872. It was designed to do exactly what you want.

All you have to do is run the zone 2 speaker wire to your patio, 1 HDMI cable to your tv and wire your inhouse speakers.

Unlike most less expensive receivers, it will feed digital input signals to your patio speakers. By the time you start adding up the cost of 2 receivers, 2 cds, 2 tape decks, 2 etc; you will be close to the cost of the 872.

Much easier wiring setup, better sound quality, and no "Which room did I leave that cd in?"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats a good way to put it but i alread have just about 2 of everything and i'm not worried about digital signals for the patio, its just a patio.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry to bring an old thread back but what do you guys think of the onkyo 605? it says it does HDMI upconvert so does that mean i can run everything to that and run 1 hdmi to the tv? also, the only problem with this is that it only has one set of front speakers and i need to, can i use the zone 2 feature as a second set of fronts?

thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems best to run as many components to the receiver as you can using HDMI and then a single HDMI to the tv. Only 2 in on the 605

The Onkyo 705 (3 hdmi in) has dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room). The 705 seems to be a good deal considering its abilities, editors choice awards and good reviews as a rule.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts