AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If you haven't already done so, you could try running the sub in sealed mode and in THX mode, and also running your AVR's auto-cal (YPAO).

KEF 12 Kube. RSL Speedwoofer 10S.
but when i run my ypao or testtone. when it gets to the sub, there is nothing

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
just got the monolith today. Installed it with my yamaha 7850 and tested the bass with some heavy bass music.

very deep bass. maybe more than what i am loooking for or used to. My ear drums were shaking well after stopping the music

also lookwise it looks better with the grill off. but overall its looks are not great.

I think I am going to swap it out for something less and more pleasing look
As @Spewdom said, you can't get back what isn't there. With AV equipment it's always better to have more then not enough. And with speakers & subs it's definitely better to have extra headroom to avoid them being overdriven so that you will have good, clean, distortion free sound.

Next step for you is proper setup (placement, YPAO, dialing in). Here is a link to the sub calibration thread to help you understand how to get the most out of your sub(s).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

I also agree with @Leeliemix that you may not have ran your auto cal properly.

Lastly, you chose the best performing sub out of the choices you had, so stop worrying so much about how it looks. Unless you'd prefer a beautiful sub that sounds like ****. If that's the case then by all means, have at it. Lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
ypao to the mic jack on the receiver

its mostle about the looks. it look ugly. and its too big. cant hide it. i dont even know in what situation I would need all that bass.

should i try the svs 1000 and try that out?

I am currently testing out subs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

its mostle about the looks. it look ugly. and its too big. cant hide it. i dont even know in what situation I would need all that bass.

The SVS SB-1000 might be worth your time. It will be smaller since it is sealed and definitely not have the same output.

There might be some piano black options out there if you are interested.

What about gloss white? Rythmik L12 sealed (small enclosure) comes in gloss white:
http://rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Those 2 subs are the same size, but if you want to try it out, that's completely up to you. It's your time & money.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

The sub, how is it connected?

At a given volume a bigger sub isnt supposed to be louder unless set up wrong, its just supposed to be cleaner and able to keep up when increasing the volume.

Just to make sure, you are not using LFE+main or other double bass setting?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I definitely feel the vibration on the sub. So I know its getting a signal. I had my crossover set at arounf 75-80 on the sub

thx and all other settings are on

db I think it was at 0

I played around upperthe db and was definitely heavy bass (deafening bass)

phase didnt apear to make a different - 0, 90, 180 tried it all

Here is how its connected

YAMAHA -----> single RCA -----> COAX(WALL) ------> RCA SPLIT -----> LFE on monolith

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I definitely feel the vibration on the sub. So I know its getting a signal. I had my crossover set at arounf 75-80 on the sub

thx and all other settings are on

db I think it was at 0

I played around upperthe db and was definitely heavy bass (deafening bass)

phase didnt apear to make a different - 0, 90, 180 tried it all

Here is how its connected

YAMAHA -----> single RCA -----> COAX(WALL) ------> RCA SPLIT -----> LFE on monolith
here is what it looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Got my monolith 10 in yesterday and can't begin to describe how happy I am with it, stepping up from a dayton 12 budget sub.

So just my observation on this post but a couple things. You do not need the y splitter for RCA signal on the sub. Just plug the single out into one of the rca jacks (even says in the manual). Leave the switches on thx setting for initial run though since extended will just make it louder (more distortion possible on top end). Leave the crossover at the highest mark possible since you have the amp doing the work (crossover should be disabled if thx is selected but won't hurt to leave it at max). Leave phase on zero unless you need it, you'll know if you need it. Put the port plug in if you feel your bass is going too low, that will help the roll off a bit higher. Sub in corner will also increase volume but do a sub crawl to figure out where you may like to place it (I was stuck in where I can given my room, but whatever).

Once done and placed, then run your auto calibration. If the sub is still too hot (your amp showing like -12 db correction) you can move the gain knob into the negative numbers to cut some off and then re-run calibration so your amp gain is -12 to -6 leaving you room to cut a couple db off in amp if you'd like. Every recommendation I've read is to make sure the sub is always at least -5/-6db on the amp. Then make sure all your speakers are set to small, raise the crossover (in amp) of all your speakers to 80hz if lower than that, and see what a movie sounds like at that point.

My impression was that the monolith was providing lower bass I just didn't have before, and the bass I did have was at a higher volume versus before. Just running a couple bass boosted test tracks made it absurd BUT by the time I was finishing my first movie with it, the sub had completely blended in and made the movie 100% better. Loud knocks or bangs were reinforced with volume matching the sound field so you could "feel" the door slam like you would if you were 6 feet from a real door slam. I would suggest just giving it a few days and a decent listen after you get it calibrated. still too much bass, turn the gain down.

Stepping up to a 12'' quality sub isn't going to solve your problem any more than trading this for a 10'' svs sub. At your price point these are all in the same relative performance group. Don't get too tied up in reviews and numbers and comparisons cause you'll start seeing BIG differences where there may be a 1-2db difference that could quite possibly not even show up in your room. I personally would also NEVER buy an audio product based on it's looks over it's sound production, but that's just me.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got my monolith 10 in yesterday and can't begin to describe how happy I am with it, stepping up from a dayton 12 budget sub.

So just my observation on this post but a couple things. You do not need the y splitter for RCA signal on the sub. Just plug the single out into one of the rca jacks (even says in the manual). Leave the switches on thx setting for initial run though since extended will just make it louder (more distortion possible on top end). Leave the crossover at the highest mark possible since you have the amp doing the work (crossover should be disabled if thx is selected but won't hurt to leave it at max). Leave phase on zero unless you need it, you'll know if you need it. Put the port plug in if you feel your bass is going too low, that will help the roll off a bit higher. Sub in corner will also increase volume but do a sub crawl to figure out where you may like to place it (I was stuck in where I can given my room, but whatever).

Once done and placed, then run your auto calibration. If the sub is still too hot (your amp showing like -12 db correction) you can move the gain knob into the negative numbers to cut some off and then re-run calibration so your amp gain is -12 to -6 leaving you room to cut a couple db off in amp if you'd like. Every recommendation I've read is to make sure the sub is always at least -5/-6db on the amp. Then make sure all your speakers are set to small, raise the crossover (in amp) of all your speakers to 80hz if lower than that, and see what a movie sounds like at that point.

My impression was that the monolith was providing lower bass I just didn't have before, and the bass I did have was at a higher volume versus before. Just running a couple bass boosted test tracks made it absurd BUT by the time I was finishing my first movie with it, the sub had completely blended in and made the movie 100% better. Loud knocks or bangs were reinforced with volume matching the sound field so you could "feel" the door slam like you would if you were 6 feet from a real door slam. I would suggest just giving it a few days and a decent listen after you get it calibrated. still too much bass, turn the gain down.

Stepping up to a 12'' quality sub isn't going to solve your problem any more than trading this for a 10'' svs sub. At your price point these are all in the same relative performance group. Don't get too tied up in reviews and numbers and comparisons cause you'll start seeing BIG differences where there may be a 1-2db difference that could quite possibly not even show up in your room. I personally would also NEVER buy an audio product based on it's looks over it's sound production, but that's just me.

Good luck!!!
but all subs have a LFE white and red. what is supposed to be plugged?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Dont forget to increase or decrease the gain on the sub until the auto setup sets it between -11.5 and -6dB
And follow the rest of the advice in the detailed post above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
but all subs have a LFE white and red. what is supposed to be plugged?
All subs don't necessarily have multiple in but on the monolith it's described in the manual. If you don't have LFE on your amp then you would plug your stereo pre-outs into these so the sub can filter the bass out of the stereo stream. With an LFE signal either input works.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Monolith THX 10” in my casual room. I have the Monolith THX 12” in my more serious room. Amazing subs. All subs are black boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 129 Posts