AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been frothing at the mouth for a projector the last 4 months or so, and now that I'm back out of debt from a europe trip I'm looking to get one sometime between now and 2 months from now. I was basically set on getting a sp 4805, but I really am not sure what would be good for my setup...

I'll be sitting about 11 feet from the screen, room is 13X10. There's two largish windows on the side of the room, but I was planning on some fabric or another that I can use for blinds to eliminate what I can from the light from the windows. I'm not stuck on one screen size or another, basically what will work the best. Obviously I'd prefer a larger screen size, but the room size probably won't allow that with a smaller res projector if that's all that's in my price range.

Mainly this will be an equal composition of being used for movies and gaming, along with probably some regular and hdtv viewing. Seeing how the xbox 360's coming out with all games at 720, that was on thing that had me wondering on the sp 4805.

So I now know of sp 4805, z2, or sharp dt300 that seem to be some things that would work. I really have no clue what I should really get for my set up though. I'd prefer cheaper options, as you can see from the 3 I listed above, but I could go up to 1500 if necessary, but obviously under 1000 is a good thing ;o)

Thanks if you can help!

AMM

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been pretty pleased with the Infocus X3, certainly for the price. (Circuit City has it $60 off right now) In 16:9 you'll only end out seeing 1024x576, but it looks as good (to me anyway) as the 720 native models. If you feed it a 16:9 image, you avoid the top and bottom light bars, and you'll have the option to fill tthe 16:9 screen with a 4:3 letterboxed image.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AMM I'm in the same boat. I've been looking for some time and was lucky enough to find this forum to do research. I still haven't settled on a system. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger I read a review or post that makes want to do more research. And now I'm leery about making a purchase with CEDIA coming up I'm debating on waiting till the new models are released and price drops occur on current models. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
instead of looking at x3's... why not check out the optoma 719's they have at bestbuy...

appears to be based on the same chip, dc2 2500:1 1024x768... however, it's about 200 dollars cheaper, and in the past optoma business projectors use much faster color wheels than infocus... i can't find any information on it, but usually they are 4x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.