AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I want a setup for my office. It will be used primarily for music. I may use it on my TV, but don't need surround sound. The speakers need to be small, but I want them to crank when I am in the mood.

Which DIY Soundgroup speakers do you recommend? Budget is whatever it takes for me to be happy.

Also, should I go purchase a cheap AVR or should I just get an amp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned  /t/1524869/help-me-pick-office-setup/0_100#post_24544915

Hey all... I want a setup for my office. It will be used primarily for music. I may use it on my TV, but don't need surround sound. The speakers

need to be small, but I want them to crank when I am in the mood.

Which DIY Soundgroup speakers do you recommend? Budget is whatever it takes for me to be happy.

Also, should I go purchase a cheap AVR or should I just get an amp?

I just had the same question.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523638/nexus-mtm-and-fusion-8-alchemy-build-its-starting-now-how-should-i-finish-them-advice-on-building-them/0_100

I edited the thread and title because I decided to do a second pair of fusion 8 too.

But for the office the nexus from DIY sound group looked good to me. Small footprint. Great sound. Easy enough to build. Good performance near field ( but also works from distance) Can handle power and decent amount of bass from small driver (s)

Check out my thread and disregard the talk about the second pair.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thread. I'm thinking the Nexus may leave me wanting more. I have a set of Fusion 8's I use as surrounds and absolutely love them. I had them setup as my mains for awhile in place of my B&W... They blew the B&W away. The 8's may be more than I need, so I'm thinking about the fusion 6's or even the fusion 6 mtm.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized that I don't need an amp or receiver. My AVR is Denon 4311 with multi room capabilities. I've never tried using it but I should be able to control and power the office speakers with it. I can use my PC or Android app to control the AVR in the other room

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslv2pwned  /t/1524869/help-me-pick-office-setup/0_100#post_24545134

Good thread. I'm thinking the Nexus may leave me wanting more. I have a set of Fusion 8's I use as surrounds and absolutely love them. I had them setup as my mains for awhile in place of my B&W... They blew the B&W away. The 8's may be more than I need, so I'm thinking about the fusion 6's or even the fusion 6 mtm.

It think it comes down to set up and placement and volume.

Something like the NEXUS is going to sound better at normal volume, what you might use them at in an office setting. The tweeters are more forgiving and sound better under 100db than a wave guide and compression driver. The footprint is smaller, and the speaker is also cheaper. How critical listening and how loud would you go in an office ?

If you are really going to crank them, and set them up properly for the imagining then the Waveguide has some advantages with it's controlled directivity and high sensitivity and volume capability. The dynamics are appreciated more in an movie setting or theater settings or loud music- than a typical stereo office set up. I bought both but plan to use the FUSION 8 for a totally different purpose than my office. I'd probably caution you that just because the FUSION might be better in one setting or set up doesn't mean it's better at all of them.

If you are using them near field I think you would like the NEXUS better. But this is just what I have heard and understood- I will know very soon first hand since I am building both

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They probably won't be near field... I have too many monitors large monitors on my desk.

I think before I buy, I will move the fusion 8's into the room and test them out.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'll "talk around" your question just a bit, but I think I'm answering in part what you are asking.

I had some small bookshelves I used in my Mancove, and then moved them to surround duty in my 5.1 setup. I had gutted and upgraded them with $100 worth of drivers, 1" tweet and a 4" mid/woofer and I REALLY liked them a lot! Until...

...until I finished my Fusion 10's. It uses the same compression driver you have in your 8's, the DNA-205. I brought the previously beloved bookshelves back into my Mancove for use with my computer audio, and all of a sudden, I really don't like them now.

They aren't clear, when they crank up to any volume above moderate, they hurt my ears. And the worse part is, instead of enjoying the music, I find myself whining to myself about all their faults.

The bottom line is that the Fusions really spoiled me on what I think good speakers should sound like. I say if you like those Fusion 8's, you might want to consider staying with another pair, as they might sour you on whatever your next small speakers are. I would also say if you can stay within the Fusion family and use those really nice smooth sounding DNA-205's (IMO the source of all that wonderfullness) then do that.

I know you said the Fusion 8's may be "too much" for your small office, but remember there is no such thing as too much good sound.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
The nexus is only 84 db sensitive speaker. A receiver would struggle playing at 95 db loud.

The tweeter in the nexus wouldn't sound better then the cd in the fusion. It would sound different. My previous b &w speakers had a dome tweeter and I much prefer the highs from the fusion 8. The only tweeter that I know that would definitely sound better then the 205 compression driver is the raal. That tweeter is 450 bucks though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also don't want to build a box. I want something in a flat pack. It doesn't look like there is a box for the cabinet yet. Although, the site says it will be available very soon.

Maybe I will buy both too!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1524869/help-me-pick-office-setup#post_24545508

The nexus is only 84 db sensitive speaker. A receiver would struggle playing at 95 db loud.

The tweeter in the nexus wouldn't sound better then the cd in the fusion. It would sound different. My previous b &w speakers had a dome tweeter and I much prefer the highs from the fusion 8. The only tweeter that I know that would definitely sound better then the 205 compression driver is the raal. That tweeter is 450 bucks though.

I didn't see this post... We posted at the same time.

This is exactly what I was thinking. When I compared the sensitivity, I thought the same exact thing. Plus, I have tested the fusions in my Denon. The SPL is crazy loud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts