AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

Please help a newbie pick out an amazing speaker system.

Background- I had the mirage nanosat system for my college dorm room, and am now settling into a house in the real world and am ready to get my living room bumping. I listen to lots of live recordings, watch blu-ray movies, and want to be able to crank the volume for house parties. Priority is quality over volume, but I want the ability for volume as necessary.

I'm looking to spend around $2500 (flexible) on a complete 2.1 system, with the ability to later add center and rear speakers to make it a 5.1. I'm budgeting:
  • $1500 for 2 floor-standing speakers
  • $400 for a bumpin sub
  • $600 for an AV receiver, to connect this sound system, a dedicated PC, and a PS3 to a brand new 1080p TV

Please give your recommendations for all of these components. I greatly appreciate your input, and will post a pic of the final system.

Many thanks,

Aaron

** the room is 15ft x 15ft

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How big is the room? Size and total volume. I'm asking because $400 isn't going to cut it for a sub for a space much larger than an average bedroom. I'd shift $400-500 of that speaker budget toward the sub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have B&W 683's, SVS PB12-NSD, Pioneer elite VSX-23txh.

This should fit into the budget if you shop around a bit and it sounds great to me.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Here's how I would spend your $2500

- go to your local Frys and pickup 2 KEF iQ70 , $500

- get a Rythmik F12 , $800

- get a Denon 3310 , $550

Consider room treatments, movies and some of your other speakers with the rest (or upgrade to a F15 or F15HP; or depending on your room, get two F12s for more balanced bass across the room).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19502854

Here is what I would get in that budget:

receiver: Onkyo TX-SR708

speakers: EMPtek E55Ti tower speakers

subwoofer: Hsu Research VTF-15H

Absolutely killer, hi quality setup for under your budget. Your guests will love the ass kicking bass too.

Looks like a winner to me. Those EMPtek have free 30 day return shipping if you don't like them, but I think you gonna like. I also agree with everyone on getting the best sub you can. I got the VTF and I am waiting for the December shootout results, but I think it will be the new HT King at $1018 shipped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am curious to what % split between a pair of mains and a sub is most popular. By some posts here, it seems to trend toward 50/50.

Coincidentally, I'm looking for a sub and am budgeting a hair above what I paid for my front speakers. I guess I'm glad to see a consensus.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeStack1 /forum/post/19503418

I am curious to what % split between a pair of mains and a sub is most popular. By some posts here, it seems to trend toward 50/50.

Coincidentally, I'm looking for a sub and am budgeting a hair above what I paid for my front speakers. I guess I'm glad to see a consensus.

It really depends a lot on deals you can find and your overall budget and goals.

Also, in order to get a good quality sub for both HT and music you'll be hard pressed to spend under $500 whereas you can get some amazing speaker deals in the $500 - $800 range.

I started with a $500 sub and quickly went up to a Rythmik F12 (as music played a greater role) for ~$750. I spent $700 on my entire 5.0 (I got great deals, to replace the front 2 today it would take $600ish).

But my goal is to replace my speakers someday with Salk HT2 monitors, $3700; and I'd keep the same sub.

So ratio today, $300:$750; in the future $3700;$750.

It all depends...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Id spend just a little more-- and get a sho10 5.1 setup($2300).. Guys are reporting a huge sound stage and the sub works very well.. Then mix that with a pioneer 1120k or a vsx32 or 33(if you get a good price) and your set..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs /forum/post/19504477

How do those Emptek speakers sound? They definitely look very pretty.

I own a pair. The relaxed high end can initially be unsettling, as most sub-$1000 commercial speakers have exaggerated tweeters but once you get used to a tweeter level matched to the woofer they're just great. They don't try to impress you by adding too much to the sound, they just try to give you the source material, clean and clear and under control (...).

Things just sound very natural and laid back, not a speaker that will try to steal the show at the cost of something like midrange clarity, rather just make the show itself outstanding. And they're easy to drive. Their best attritbute is possibly their ability to go from silent to loud and back... it sounds unsettlingly real.

Imaging and soundstaging are very precise... you can get away with no center speaker on these guys, altough for home theater it's recommended as it can move the center sound back a foot or two. The e5Ci center is also very nice and clear.

I do still wish they had a bit more treble extension but that's truly nitpicking at this price. I'd pit them against other more expensive speakers I've heard like Studio 60s and Totem Arros and feel confident in their ability to give the more natural sound. I wouldn't pit them against Salks or anything though... but who would!?

·
Registered
20,124 Posts
To go with the reccomended Onkyo receiver and Hsu sub - I would

reccomend that you look at the Boston VR3 towers at onecall.com

If you like loud - then all this, will be loud. How many people do you

fit in that 15x15 room for a house party?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned getting a center if you plan to watch movies with it. You could end up with problems hearing dialog without one, especially as a lot of newer movies don't have a 2ch track.

·
Registered
20,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonengine /forum/post/19505793

I'm surprised no one mentioned getting a center if you plan to watch movies with it. You could end up with problems hearing dialog without one, especially as a lot of newer movies don't have a 2ch track.

There is a tower and center channel deal with the VR speakers

at Onecall.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonengine /forum/post/19505793

I think any AVR sold these days has a setting for no center. If you are only concerned with one seat then not having a center is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts