AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

Please help a newbie pick out an amazing speaker system.

Background- I had the mirage nanosat system for my college dorm room, and am now settling into a house in the real world and am ready to get my living room bumping. I listen to lots of live recordings, watch blu-ray movies, and want to be able to crank the volume for house parties. Priority is quality over volume, but I want the ability for volume as necessary.

I'm looking to spend around $2500 on a complete 2.1 system, with the ability to later add center and rear speakers to make it a 5.1. I'm budgeting:
  • $1500 for 2 floor-standing speakers
  • $400 for a bumpin sub
  • $600 for an AV receiver, to connect this sound system, a dedicated PC, and a PS3 to a brand new 1080p TV

Please give your recommendations for all of these components. I greatly appreciate your input, and will post a pic of the final system.

Many thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad123 /forum/post/19502440

Hi Forum,

Please help a newbie pick out an amazing speaker system.

Background- I had the mirage nanosat system for my college dorm room, and am now settling into a house in the real world and am ready to get my living room bumping. I listen to lots of live recordings, watch blu-ray movies, and want to be able to crank the volume for house parties. Priority is quality over volume, but I want the ability for volume as necessary.

I'm looking to spend around $2500 on a complete 2.1 system, with the ability to later add center and rear speakers to make it a 5.1. I'm budgeting:
  • $1500 for 2 floor-standing speakers
  • $400 for a bumpin sub
  • $600 for an AV receiver, to connect this sound system, a dedicated PC, and a PS3 to a brand new 1080p TV

Please give your recommendations for all of these components. I greatly appreciate your input, and will post a pic of the final system.

Many thanks,

Aaron

If it was me, I would consider dropping my receiver amount $100 and allocate that to a sub....there are some really nice subs in the 5-600 range (Epik Legend, HSU VFT 2.3, etc). In the $400 sub range you wont find alot of good options outside of Lava, Emotiva.

I think you can find decent AVR's in the $500 range.

For towers, there are a number in that price range and some even cheaper if you are willing to go used to save a few bucks.

$2500 can get you a nice little system.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/19502528

If it was me, I would consider dropping my receiver amount $100 and allocate that to a sub....there are some really nice subs in the 5-600 range (Epik Legend, HSU VFT 2.3, etc).

Agreed. However, there are a few subs in the $400 range that are good (HSU, eD, and Emotiva).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You said in speaker forum that it is 15x15, but how tall are your ceilings and is this room sealed or open to other parts of house. I would allocate more money to sub and take some away from floorstanders IMO. Sub and center most important speakers for HT.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
receiver Onkyo HT-RC260 ~$330 has the same amplifier section as the Onkyo 608 that is THX certified (but one less feature). Onkyo did not pay fee for THX certification on the 260. Latest Blu-ray codecs and 4 HDMI inputs. There are many other receivers that are comparable.

Chase Home Theater PRO-10

·
Registered
827 Posts
Also for consideration would be Chase Home Theater subs. They have a 10.2 (two 10" drivers) for $400 + shipping.

They are also coming out with a 12" subwoofer (single driver) for $400. Checkout their website and there are some reviews posted too.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad123 /forum/post/19502440

I'm looking to spend around $2500 on a complete 2.1 system, with the ability to later add center and rear speakers to make it a 5.1. I'm budgeting:[*]$1500 for 2 floor-standing speakers[*]$400 for a bumpin sub[*]$600 for an AV receiver, to connect this sound system, a dedicated PC, and a PS3 to a brand new 1080p TV

Please give your recommendations for all of these components.

Going on a tangent here:

Get an AVR with pre-outs and hook up a separate amplifier.

I am assuming (for $1500), whatever floor-standing speakers you end up with, will require a lot of power and a AVR's amp section isn't going to give you the full benefit of those speakers.

Get a $300 AVR with pre-outs and spend the rest of your (AVR) budget on a 5-ch amp.

AVRs with pre-outs are not cheap but few weeks ago, Newegg had a Yamaha with 7.2 ch. pre-outs for $300 and it will keep coming up for sale.

And for amps, I would suggest Emotiva. Their amps are considered by many to provide the best value for the money. They have a sale going on now and their 5-ch UPA5 is on sale for $429 ($600) and UPA7 for $600 ($700).

For $750 or less you can get much cleaner sound with higher power than a $600 AVR can give you.

As for subs, the ED A2-300 is one of the best for $400 or so.

I don't have any personal experience with other brands in that price range but HSU is another brand that has quality sound below $400.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts