AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a table radio and would like to hear what people think who have either a tivoli, boston, or cambridge.

One interesting radio that I was thinking about trying: Simplicity

If it sounds decent and works pretty good I could buy 2 of them and take one into my office at work and still be getting off really cheap. Has anybody heard this one?

I was looking to spend less than $100, but I realize that there are more options around $200.

I would be using it mostly for listening to FM & maybe AM every now and then. I also would like to be able to plug an mp3 player into it every now and then.

Somebody has probably been through the same search that I'm going through ...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the Boston and absolutely love it. Best clock radio I've ever had. It doesn't play stereo, but you'd never know it. To my ears, really nice sounding. I've listened to the Bose and have twice had Cambridge shipped to me, but, for the money, the Boston is sensational. I listen to classical station all night long and am surprised at the good reception I get. To let you know, on my Integra pre-pro, I hooked up a Godar FM antenna based on strong recommendations at Audio Asylum. The reception is good, but there is always a slight hiss on that FM station. Not so on the Boston. One downside is that it has no CD player, nor any way to attach one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I recently upgraded and replaced ther cheap radios I had around the house and purchasded some upper priced units. I have a Kloss, Cambridge, Boston Acoustics and a Bose. They all have a nice sound with the reception being the best on the Kloss. I don't use any antennas other than the ones that came with the units. The Boston acoustics is the most compact, the Cambridge has more bells and whistles, and the Kloss is rather ugly. I would rate them overall 1: Kloss 2:Boston: 3:Cambridge and 4: Bose.:p

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ear-doc2
I recently upgraded and replaced ther cheap radios I had around the house and purchasded some upper priced units. I have a Kloss, Cambridge, Boston Acoustics and a Bose. They all have a nice sound with the reception being the best on the Kloss. I don't use any antennas other than the ones that came with the units. The Boston acoustics is the most compact, the Cambridge has more bells and whistles, and the Kloss is rather ugly. I would rate them overall 1: Kloss 2:Boston: 3:Cambridge and 4: Bose.:p
That's some good info! BTW, which Kloss, Boston, & Cambridge do you have?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't own any of these but I've been doing similar research. I was looking for a compact alarm clock/radio. The boston looked good but does not have an aux input. I don't like the analog clock on the kloss model 3. I think the cambridge soundworks 730 has the best combo of feature, price and performance, only downside for me is it's size and looks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the CSW unit and am continually amazed by the sound quality of this little radio. Personall, I found the sound to be much better than either the Bose or Tivoli radios. It also has a nice little remote unit with a clock and infrared remote and alarm so you could have the radio in one area and the remote on your nightstand or whatever. It comes in handy. You can find b-stock on ebay all the time for around $150.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
jermy4: AFAIK, Target has a great return policy. I'd suggest you buy the Emerson directly from Target (not Amazon), and try it out. For $30, if it's half as good as the Tivoli it copies, it's a steal. Add a $25 portable CD player and you've got a great little office/bedroom stereo!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The models I have are Kloss 88, Cambridge 740/ and the Boston Receptor. The Bose is at the office and I'll check the model later. My only complaint with the Boston, which is on my nightstand, is that I have a hard time finding the shut off button for the alarm, which has a nice ascending tone.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the emerson at Target for $30.00. I thought it was okay, but I was not overly impressed. Just because I was curious I went to a local store and listened to the tivoli model one, model two, and ipal. I was incredibly surprised at how underwhelmed I was with all of them. I even listened to the model two with the matching subwoofer.

I guess I wasn't sure what kind of sound these radios produce. They are really warm and echoey sounding which is okay for talk radio but It's going to take some getting used to for music. For $30 it's a steal since it sounds very close to the tivoli. I'm sure the tivoli would sound better at my house but for an extra $130 it was a no brainer. I'm still undecided if I'm going to buy another one for work. I might take the one I have to work and see how the reception is and if it sounds better than my pc speakers which are really crappy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention that speaker placement is pretty important with the emerson. I found that it sounds a lot better if it is close to ear level or aimed up towards the listener. I have it in my bathroom and it sounds 10 times better when I put it and the matching speaker vertical and leaned them against my mirror at a 45 degree angle towards me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.