1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new here and need some help.

here is what i have

12 X 15 room

samsung ln46a630 lcd (sitting on 60" wide tv stand)

ps3

used for... gaming, movie watching, and regular tv watching

my budget is around $1500 if possible for the speakers and a reciever

i'm looking for a nice surround sound system. some one reccomended to me the svs system which runs about $1000. i kinda like the system it would sit nice on my stand.

what do you guys reccomend for me?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
$1500 is a good budget but your last statement concerns me a bit about sitting nice on a stand?

Speaker performance is dependant on placement with enough space behind, to the sides and between the front mains as well as the tweeter at ear level on the horizontal plane for the left/right/center soundstage.

If the space and $$$ were mine, i'd go with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver. It decodes all the latest HD codecs, upscales video to 1080p and has a great amplifier section. The SBS-01 system with the sub upgrade would be a nice match for your space. Just be sure to place the front speaker properly. The center can go either above or below the display with the cabinet angled so the horizontal plane is equal to the listeners seated ear position. You'll want a relatively high crossover point in the receiver setup of 100-120hz so sub placement should be close to the front left and right to minimize mid-bass locatability. The front left and right shoud ideally be placed on stands with about 7-8 ft between them as well as 1 ft behind and 2ft from the side walls. DON'T put the left and right on the stand.....Pleaase! Toe them in slightly aligning their tweeters to cross about 8-10" in front of the main listening position. For $1500, considering clarity and imaging you can't go wrong. If high volume playback is desired, there are better choices while sacrificing fidelity.

Decide How you listen to music and movies before making a choice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15435733

$1500 is a good budget but your last statement concerns me a bit about sitting nice on a stand?

Speaker performance is dependant on placement with enough space behind, to the sides and between the front mains as well as the tweeter at ear level on the horizontal plane for the left/right/center soundstage.

If the space and $$$ were mine, i'd go with a Pioneer VSX-1018 receiver. It decodes all the latest HD codecs, upscales video to 1080p and has a great amplifier section. The SBS-01 system with the sub upgrade would be a nice match for your space. Just be sure to place the front speaker properly. The center can go either above or below the display with the cabinet angled so the horizontal plane is equal to the listeners seated ear position. You'll want a relatively high crossover point in the receiver setup of 100-120hz so sub placement should be close to the front left and right to minimize mid-bass locatability. The front left and right shoud ideally be placed on stands with about 7-8 ft between them as well as 1 ft behind and 2ft from the side walls. DON'T put the left and right on the stand.....Pleaase! Toe them in slightly aligning their tweeters to cross about 8-10" in front of the main listening position. For $1500, considering clarity and imaging you can't go wrong. If high volume playback is desired, there are better choices while sacrificing fidelity.

Decide How you listen to music and movies before making a choice.

great advice thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.