AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals,

I need to replace my aging Infinity surround speakers with something a little more modern and able to handle some better power.

I currently Have Infinity EL1's as surrounds, and they have been great up till now. However, i've just replaced my Amp with an Onkyo 606b and they can't handle the power output of the Onkyo.

So i'm looking for some suggestions for replacements for them. I have a set of B&W604 S3 main speakers if this lends any help to a suggestion.

Thanks in advance all.

Mike

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Even more helpful would be a budget. A brief room description helps too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/15582782

Even more helpful would be a budget. A brief room description helps too.

Sorry, should have done that ;-)

Room: approx 5 meters wide, 8 meters deeps, carpet flooring, wooden walls, ceiling is A frame.

Budget: up to around $450-500 USD, around $800-900 NZD

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleKay /forum/post/15582806

Sorry, should have done that ;-)

Room: approx 5 meters wide, 8 meters deeps, carpet flooring, wooden walls, ceiling is A frame.

Budget: up to around $450-500 USD, around $800-900 NZD

No problem.

There are quite a few on these forums that use the Emotiva ERD-1 surrounds. They are 4 ohm so that may be problem with the Onkyo, although the surrounds don't require as much power as the fronts. Matching speakers across the front 3 is more important than matching up the surrounds.

I'm not sure how much shipping would be to to NZ. They can be found here:

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

You can read some of the reviews here:

http://emotivalounge.com/

Page down to user reviews of speakers and you'll find some on the ERD-1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for that, ive contacted them for a quote to ship here.

The Onkyo can handle 4 Ohms, its a selectable option in the menu's (4 or 6 Ohms) but do you think the B&W's could handle 4 Ohms? They are rated at 8

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
if you listen to multichannel music i would stick with the voice matched b&w for sure. If not I still would if you can fit the bidget for it. if not you might try some polks. i had them for a while with my focal setup (fxi 5) and they weren;t terrible but would probably match much better to the b&w (focals tend to be kicked up a notch in the upper mids and treble region in comparison). if at all possibel i would stick with the same series voice matched surrounds--sound field is comparatively more cohesive and realistic--if you get the b&w's compare them and let us know how the soundfeld differs-made a big difference when I switched to focal be surrounds in my setup--more than I had anticipated.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleKay /forum/post/15587774

Hi,

Thanks for that, ive contacted them for a quote to ship here.

The Onkyo can handle 4 Ohms, its a selectable option in the menu's (4 or 6 Ohms) but do you think the B&W's could handle 4 Ohms? They are rated at 8

i wouldn't select 4/6 ohm even if that is what the surrounds are nominally rated at impedance-wise--for a few reasons--the rears wont be taking up as much of the power so will not likely be the rate limiting factor in what the amp is limited by and 2) just adding another layer of electronic limiting circuitry that is not going to help the sound--the sound and protection circuitry will tell you if you're running out of power.

btw great choice with those b&w's! some of the best bang/buck in audio imho. yet another reason to go with b&w for teh rest of the setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts