AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i need some help picking out a surround sound system from best buy or circuit city... only from them cuz i have over $300 in gift certificates from my job and i can cash it in at either one.

i want something under $800.. sooo.. is it better to buy a reciever and speakers seperately, or buy a surround sound system... and someone told me that the ones without a built in dvd player are generally better.. is that true?

id just like some opinions on the best setups to buy, cuz i really dont know anything other than what i think looks good.

also on best buy i see they have home theatre audio.. and cinema systems. whats the difference???

i also plan on hooking a cd player up to these speakers if that makes a difference.

thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
For around $800.00, you could probably get hooked up with a Yamaha receiver and some decent speakers like Klipsch Quintet II's from Best Buy. IMHO, you should go with seperates instead of a HTIB because you can build off of the seperates later on easier. The Yamaha AVR's have numerous connections for CD/ DVD players along with your TV.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Report back on what you decided to do.

Bill

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm not a big fan of HT's in a Box, however, my first setup when I was much poorer :) was a Yamaha all-in-one setup from Ultimate Electronics, that sounded ok. I am also not a big fan of smaller cube type systems, you just can't get the same sound stage or experience as with true audiophile type speakers for music/movie watching. If your limited on bucks, Onkyo also makes some nice systems, not sure if Best Buy or Circuit has them though, I've seen them in Crutchfield. I guess if it was me I would put the money towards possibly a receiver like the Yamaha 5790 and then look at kick a$$ speakers from another source. Try to at least get some decent Bookshelf type speakers and stay away from cubes. Just my opinion, but stay away from Sony all-in-one systems. Also, I would recommend buying a seperate DVD player and not one that is combined with the receiver.

good luck

Randy

Axiom Speakers m60ti's vp150 ep350 4-Qs8's (7.1)

Denon AVR-2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic DVD HDMI S97S

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will preface this with the fact that I am very new to the home theatre game and just started building mine now. But anyway, I needed a sound system to go with my new 57" Sony and did alot of research for a decent system to use for now. I ended up getting an the Onkyo 570, (not the newer 580 which has a passive sub) to atleast hold me over for now. I picked it up after alot of price research from radio shack for $199.00 but i know circuit city has them too and will price match. I hooked it up and was blown away! I never expected such quality from a $200 unit and after googling and searching this forum many times I made the right choice. I have read nothing but praise on this unit and many people say it's almost as good as it gets for under $1000. I love it, so if you want to save a few hundred to put twoards a Harmony Remote and a popcorn machine give this a try. Go to circuit city, plug in your iPod (I can't believe they have the radio on those systems when your in the store, someone tell me why they can't just have a feed split to all the units with some decent music playing), and let her rip! The sub is amazing and blows away the comparable sony unit with a passive sub. Give it a shot, I love mine!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Use the gift card to buy AR cables/wires from Best Buy; or, purchase a Velodyne sub from Circuit City.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life
Use the gift card to buy AR cables/wires from Best Buy; or, purchase a Velodyne sub from Circuit City.
I was thinking the same thing.

Buy the components on-line and use the gift cards for music or videos. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well that budget is just under something you could do great things with seperates. So heres a couple things, go with a Yamaha or Pioneer receiver (5840, VSX815) and get the klipsch quintent or athena micra6 (point5 if they have any left of either). Or get the Yamaha NS-125F floors, and its mathcing center, surrounds, and sub.

Or like a couple other people said, buy a real receiver 5860, 5890, VSX1015, and then shop online for your speakers. BTW Rik sorry you have a bad buying experience @ bb

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I believe CC still has the Polk R15 bookshelves. Sometimes they go on sale for ~ $75.00/pair. Buy 2 pair, get a Polk CS1 from ebay for ~ $100, a receiver on sale from CC and a Velo VX10. You will be in your budget and have a nicer sounding HT than a HTIB and most sub/sat packages. You can do better if you shop online, but being limited to BB or CC but not haveing to pony out of pocket has it's attractions.

Just another idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help.. so it sounds like HTIB's are pretty bad compared to setting up your own system. so you do guys think i should just use the gift certificates towards the reciever and buy the speakers online?

i have a couple of questions then....i looked at the recievers mentioned at best buy...like the pioneers... the VSX815 is like $300, and the VSX1015 is like $500 ... so what does that extra $200 buy me?

.. and then.. what am i looking at spending for front/rear, center speakers and a subwoofer?

and all links would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The Pioneer 1015 would be a good choice (any of the Pioneer Elite clones).

Be advised: most online e-tailers are not authorized dealers (no warranty).

Another good choice PB10 (subwoofer) you can get direct from SVS.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm around these HTIB units all day and the only one I would recommend is the Onkyo HTS780 for its price ($500). If you were set on $500 or less then that'd be the easy winner. However, if you're willing to spend more then I agree with a lot of what is being said here...build yourself a system with a separate receiver. If you're looking to spend $800 on the whole system then I'm guessing you're looking for a receiver around $300 in which case I'd suggest the Onkyo TXSR503. If I was going to spend $300 or less on a receiver that's the one I'd get.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
I believe CC still has the Polk R15 bookshelves. Sometimes they go on sale for ~ $75.00/pair. Buy 2 pair, get a Polk CS1 from ebay for ~ $100, a receiver on sale from CC and a Velo VX10. You will be in your budget and have a nicer sounding HT than a HTIB and most sub/sat packages. You can do better if you shop online, but being limited to BB or CC but not haveing to pony out of pocket has it's attractions.

Just another idea.
BINGO!!! I have the Yamaha htr 5790 the Velodyne DPS-10 polk cs245i center,R-20 mains 300fxi1 surrounds and mkIIs rears and it all sounds wonderful.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Towel_Lint
I'm around these HTIB units all day and the only one I would recommend is the Onkyo HTS780 for its price ($500). If you were set on $500 or less then that'd be the easy winner. However, if you're willing to spend more then I agree with a lot of what is being said here...build yourself a system with a separate receiver. If you're looking to spend $800 on the whole system then I'm guessing you're looking for a receiver around $300 in which case I'd suggest the Onkyo TXSR503. If I was going to spend $300 or less on a receiver that's the one I'd get.
What do you think of the SR602 instead of the SR503?

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's a Yamaha 'HTIB' package at BB that goes for a little over $600.

It consists of a Yamaha receiver, stand alone 5 disc carousel DVD player, 5 pretty good speakers and a powered sub. Not bad for the money.

I agree that getting a Pioneer 1015 AV Receiver for $499 and picking out the rest later may be the best approach. It would be the foundation for a very nice home theater system.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickCardo
What do you think of the SR602 instead of the SR503?
Well the TXSR602 has an extra 10 watts per channel so depending on what speakers you hook up to it that could be something to keep in mind. Also, you get the added Zone 2 benefit so again, if that's something you will benefit from then it's something to consider. For $500, I'd also take a look at the Harman Kardon AVR235. My experience is that you cannot compare wattage ratings between Onkyo and H/K because H/K is extremely conservative (or everyone else is way too liberal depending on how you look at it). The H/K AVR635 claims 75 watts per channel just like the TXSR503, but there's a $800 difference in price. We have them both hooked up in a demo room and the AVR635 is more powerful than the TXSR503. However, having said that, the TXSR503 is still a fantastic receiver for just $300...you simply couldn't ask for more at that price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so the onkyo TXSR503 is a definate winner over the $300 yamaha and pioneer recievers?

and can someone please tell me why i would want to spend $500 on a reciever? i mean.. what benefits would it give me?

..and say i bought a reciever.. how much can i expect to spend for all the speakers and subs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the Best Buy where you live have a Magnolia Audio Video in it? if so that should answer your question on where to spend the money.

you many have to spend a few more dollars but you'll be much happier with your set up

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingson
so the onkyo TXSR503 is a definate winner over the $300 yamaha and pioneer recievers?

and can someone please tell me why i would want to spend $500 on a reciever? i mean.. what benefits would it give me?

..and say i bought a reciever.. how much can i expect to spend for all the speakers and subs?

I wouldn't necessarily say the Onkyo is a definate winner, you have to go test it out and see what you like. Would you buy a car without test driving it, just because someone told you it was the best, or would you test drive it yourself? I prefer the Pioneers, but that is just me.

Typically spending more a receiver will result in a better amp section and better DAC's. As well as more bells and whistles, like video switching and THK certification.

It it were me, i would get the 1015. It's a nice powerful unit (120 Watts Per Channel, I tihnk), THX certified, 3 Component inputs and a full set of pre-outs for adding outboard amps in the future

also as far as budget, I like to keep it 2/3 speakers, 1/3 receiver

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do NOT let Watts per channel be a deciding factor on anything. That is one of the most misleading specs of all time. Somebody above mentioned that 10 watts might might make a difference, but that's extremely unlikely.

I used to have a Sony receiver that claimed 110 WPC x 7 and I replaced it with a Harmon Kardon that claims 55 x 7. I'll give you 1 guess as to which one plays SIGNIFICANTLY louder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.