AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to these forums, and to the world of HDTVs. I have a $750 gift certificate to Sears, and I need to pick a TV. I don't want to spend much. I have never owned an HDTV before, and the most I will spend is $450 on top of the $750.

Here are the ones I am interested in:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

Samsung Pros:

Built in HDTV tuner. Sleek design. Thin. 720P

Samsung Cons:

I have heard it has some PQ issues

Sony Pros:

2'' bigger than samsung for same price

Sony Cons:

4:3 contrast Ratio. No 720P

Toshiba Pros:

34 inches. Picture in Picture. 720P

Toshiba Cons:

$200 more. I have heard it is built by some Chinese company.

This is all the info I have gathered by just surfing the internet for an hour or two. I don't know if it is accurate or not though. The important things to me are picture quality and playing xbox/xbox 360 on it. I can't spend any more money than what the Toshiba costs, and it must be from Sears since I have a $750 Gift Card. Thank you guys for any help, and hopefully this can help make the search for the right HDTV a bit easier.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
none of these TVs display 720p

all of them will take 720p input

what about the Sony KV34HS420?

I would avoid the Slimfits and the Toshibas

also Sony sells the KD32XS955 and KD30XS955 and KV30HS420 all which are in your price range

the KD TVs come with a ATSC/QAM high Def tuner with cable card slot and the KD30 is a super fine pitch TV

the Sonys will be hard to beat if image quality is a big concern

the Slimfit TVs are known for poor geometry and Toshiba should be consider overpriced (as they do not make them any more)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That TV is too pricey for me right now. Also, it doesn't do 480i/480p. Wouldn't that be a problem? What is wrong with the Samsung?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
huh what CRT based HDTV does not do 480i/p ?

the KV34HS420 supports 480i and 480p input and displays 480p, 960i and 1080i

most CRTs will only display 480i as 480p or maybe 540p

the Sony has the option to choose 480p or 960i for 480i inputs

you really should go to the manufactures website rather than Sears which has alot of incorrect info

like the 720p info as well

by the way, no CRT TV will display 720p, they take it as input and scale it to 1080i or 540p as in the case of the Toshiba

read the reviews of the Slimfit TVs here

most report the image quality is rather lacking in comparsion to regular CRTs as well as geometry distortions

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look at the Sony, but the problem with the Sony for me is the price. I found out that the samsung is on sale at Circuit City for $899.99. After PM and 10% off of the difference at Sears, the TV is $889.99 making it $610 less than the Sony. That is a huge difference in price, and I am not sure if it is worth it.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin03
Toshiba Pros:

34 inches. Picture in Picture. 720P

Toshiba Cons:

$200 more. I have heard it is built by some Chinese company.
The Toshibas are built by a Thai company called Orion Electric. 85% of the Toshiba tube TV models are Made in Thailand. How many times do I have to say this to correct people?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin03
I will look at the Sony, but the problem with the Sony for me is the price. I found out that the samsung is on sale at Circuit City for $899.99. After PM and 10% off of the difference at Sears, the TV is $889.99 making it $610 less than the Sony. That is a huge difference in price, and I am not sure if it is worth it.
It seems like you already made up your mind with the Samsung.. I doubt anyone will change your mind or convince you otherwise.. The slimfit has problems.. Geomtry problems.. Horizontal res on the Samsung is 800 lines of res.. The Sony model has 1,400 lines of horizontal res.. It's pretty safe to say that its worth the extra cash..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
was talking about the 30inch XBR955 model..

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
I understand that Sony is out of your price range, but the Sony reliabilty is pretty good by what Consumer Reports say. Samsung's reliablity isn't too great. I think the Toshiba 34HF85 is more reliable than Samsung. There are no problems reported in the 34HF85 so far. It may be a safe purchase.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
I understand that Sony is out of your price range, but the Sony reliabilty is pretty good by what Consumer Reports say. Samsung's reliablity isn't too great. I think the Toshiba 34HF85 is more reliable than Samsung. There are no problems reported in the 34HF85 so far. It may be a safe purchase.
I take it back. One person here is having a problem with the component input in the Toshiba 34HF85 right now. There are very very few 34HF85 owners so far, so reliability will be unknown for right now.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
I take it back. One person here is having a problem with the component input in the Toshiba 34HF85 right now. There are only a few 34HF85 owners so far, so reliability will now be unknown for right now.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I would never get a first generation slimfit tv set, i would wait untill they work the kinks out to get one.The technology sounds promising if they can match the PQ of a regular tube set.

But then again, why wait for the slimfit technology when ther is a technology called SED that has the same PQ as a crt and as slim as a plasma for almost half as much as a plasma costs!

That's what i'm waiting for, these SED sets, also they will do 1080p native so that's awesome!!! Can't wait...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.