AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I recently bought (being shipped) a Pioneer Elite SC07 and Mythos ST system (ST Towers, 10 for center, and GEM XL rears). I had originally intended to use it in a 12' X 12' (9ft ceilings) carpeted upstairs room where our HDTV currently resides, and I still might do so.

However, my wife really likes the look of the mythos speaker system and, accordingly, almost wants to move them into the larger, open floor plan type living room that we have on our main floor, instead of putting them in the upstairs room that currently houses our HDTV.

The large room downstairs has a two-story ceiling (so, 18-20 ft, say), very open floor plan, opens into the entirety of the downstairs pretty much. A much larger room, maybe 15' X 18'. No drapes, many windows, bare walls, hardwood floors, one area rug, leather couch/chairs. We had actually placed the new HDTV upstairs when we bought it because the echo downstairs (or so I assume it was the echo) made our panasonic crt tv and simple Sony HTIB hard to hear (subtitles anyone?) - dialogue was obscured. We assumed that it was room acoustics.

Would these speakers (mythos st towers, mythos 10, gem xls) work the larger room, or would the acoustic problems affect things just as much as before? It would take some work to set up down there "just to check". I'm getting an SC07 for my receiver, but I can't imagine a receiver can "anti-reverb" a room. Would the mcacc help in this regard, or is the live, echoy room cursed :)

Anyway, I'll stop there, maybe folks have some ideas to share, similar arrangements.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pics would help a lot, but in general, acoustic problems won't go away with better speakers. A bad room is a bad room.

Have you considered acoustic treatments? Some people have done a lot of creative things to tame rooms, many with high WAF. I highly recommend GIK Acoustics if you're looking for a starting point. Had a great experience with them personally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts