AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the dark picture. Reality will be even darker as I'm draping the whole room in black cloth and carpet (gotta make sure those 5030UB blacks really pop!). :) I have TWO subs.

The screen is 144" wide, there's about a foot of clear wall on each side left off. I was thinking putting one in one of the corners, but I don't want reflections of the screen bouncing off it as it's rather deep and will be sticking out in front of the screen (I'm getting the "black room reflection anxiety" syndrome, common to most black HT owners), I'd prefer the screen to be "floating in the darkness" without any objects close to it. But it's just a preference. And there's an issue of decrease in SQ when putting a sub in the corner...

Anyway, here's the layout of the room, and I marked the most obvious positions. Please let me know where you think would be the best positions for both subs. Please specify which way each of the subs should be facing (E, W, S, N, SW, SWW etc)

Any input will be greatly appreciated. We start construction tomorrow (I had to make last minute simplifying design modifications) so I need to know where to install a wiring.

I was thinking something like this, but I'm not sure:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Before you decide on the location of the subs based on their "best" spot based on aesthetics and circulation, try doing the sub crawl to locate the optimal spot for bass.

That is a REALLY cool room you've got there. Don't shy away from different locations for your subs... it is well worth to having them in the ideal location - or as ideal as humanly possible.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The direction the sub is facing doesn't matter. I position mine the most easily accessible if I need to access behind of the sub to make adjustments.

I would use Monoprice's digital coax RCA for my sub cables: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2683&seq=1&format=2

I have my subs position similarly with the last picture. I gain a little more accuracy and the low frequencies aren't "blown" out of proportion (helps me gain a flatter response). Everything really depends on your room. I tried both subs in the front two corners, locations A and F from picture one, and thought it was very suitable. I just didn't like the cluttered look with the subs and Left/Right speakers.

But based on Picture two, I think the front two corners will probably have a great response, but you should do a sub crawl test first to place them optimally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts