AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the layout my builder gave me. I am not too happy with it. The Theater would have to go on the left side there. Was thinking i would put speakers and stuff in the build out on the left side behind a acoustically transparent screen. I would love to have a little bar behind the couch for more seating, not sure if there is any way to make that work. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah, the layout is pretty bad. Can you switch the layout around?

How big of a screen were you looking to get?

If you can't make any big changes I would wall off the theater 3 feet "North" of the stair. I would put a door in the wall and enter the theater from the rear.

All other traffic would travel "east" towards the furnace room, then bang a left to get to the bedroom and bath.

That would give you a theater about 13' wide and 17' deep. You could get one row of 3 and a bar behind if you kept the screen size reasonable.

If you can switch the layout there are better options.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yea i see what you are saying. I can possibly change the layout but of course the Wife has to approve it. Problem is I have those 2 damn teleposts in the wall so it really limits me. Plus obviously the washroom has all the plumbing so cant really change that. The furnace room cant change either because of where the furnace is and the duct work. Would like a 130" screen or so.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well I did a drawing but didn't realize the hvac was fixed in place.

Well, here it is anyway. I dont see any possible way to get 130" with the window, stair and plumbing being fixed.

Add the hvac being fixed and I am out of ideas. If you want a wide open space then you could get a bigger screen.

The attached image is a 96" wide (not diag) screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I did a drawing but didn't realize the hvac was fixed in place.

Well, here it is anyway. I dont see any possible way to get 130" with the window, stair and plumbing being fixed.

Add the hvac being fixed and I am out of ideas. If you want a wide open space then you could get a bigger screen.

The attached image is a 96" wide (not diag) screen.
Thanks for looking. I have some thinking to do

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I'd be thinking less walls, eating up floor space. Less corridors eating up square footage
and budget. I'm not usually a fan of using a home theater as a passageway but here it might
just make the most sense.

Maybe a sliding barn door for the furnace access, and maybe disguising the
utility area openings, with large artwork?

Sent you a personal message also...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Thanks for looking. I have some thinking to do
I am assuming that this house is not yet built and that you don't have a ton of choices (as I didn't) on where you can move walls, layout, etc.

The advice I would give is to mock it up when you move in. I thought I knew exactly what I was going to build before we moved into our house but I've had a mixed blessing where I haven't been able to start construction. In the meantime, I've "mocked up" my theater with craigslist couches, a basic projector (BenQ) and a 12' wide DIY screen and an array of hand me down receiver / speakers. I think I've spent $1,000 or so and I've turned a completely barren space into a working (if not totally great) home theater.

I've discovered along the way that some things I thought were going to be REALLY important - aren't. And some things that I hadn't thought of at all, actually matter.

It all depends on you and what your style is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are exactly right. Ducts and hvac in the way. I am going to do the room more open. Traffic will have to go through theatre. Oh well. Probably won't be optimal for sound quality either. I will post pics of the progress

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
As far as design, it looks fantastic.

Having the fiberglass exposed to the airstream is not the best idea. I guess on a return it wouldn't be too bad as your furnace filter would filter the fibers out. On a supply it will blow fiberglass into the theater.

I guess the last thing would be how many CFMs you are looking to pass through there.

Tim

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I think you need to put something else in there.

Either duct liner (eg linacoustic) or a rigid duct board.

The only other idea would be to put some sort of barrier over the fiberglass. Problem is I don't know what you could use that would be ok in the air stream. Plastic wouldn't be allowed due to smoke created and flame spread. I wonder if GOM would work? Not sure what the requirements are inside a duct.

My recommendation would be something designed for use inside ducts.. you will probably need linacoustic for the room treatments anyway?

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts