AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running BTV on Vista 32. I am trying to build the right machine but have struck out twice with motherboards and now just want someone to tell me what to buy..

1. I want to have onboard HDMI video and audio

2. I want onboard SPDIF audio (optical or coax)

3. I would like to be able to use SPDIF audio and HDMI at the same time.

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090 this board

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135075 this one

The gigabyte board is the one I am using now..

I cant seem to get either of them to work properly... HDMI audio doesnt work and neither does SPDIF. In the control panel it shows the SPDIF audio as the primary output but there is no light on the port on the motherboard... The control panel shows a level meter like the sound should be coming out of the HDMI but there is no sound on my tv... and the speaker jack it says isnt plugged in.. but it is...

I would like someone to advise me on an AM2 motherboard that they have experience getting HDMI audio and SPDIF to work on Vista... can anyone please advise?

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
The motherboard manual for the Gigabyte seems to have pretty comprehensive instructions when it comes to setting up the audio for this board. Just make sure you have SPDIF enabled under the realtek audio setup...I think that's the little orange speaker icon in the system tray. Also, you cannot use both SPDIF and HDMI audio at the same time. It's one or the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have read the manual...

I am not looking for instructions on how to get my motherboard to work.. it is junk. The port is no good.. I am looking for experience with other motherboards that I can buy something that I know works.. Gigabyte is sending me via tech support to get drivers from other places than their website and this is junk... I just want a solid motherboard.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I feel your pain, man. My first mobo died on me after 2 days and the next two were DOA's. I don't care what some others in this forum may say, Gigabyte has QC problems. I work in IT so I deal with computers all day and I know I didn't flub up three boards in a row. Luckily, the fourth time seems to be the charm and my current Gigagbyte 780G seems to be chugging along happily.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
have you built a system before? just seems like you just might be a noob at this, because I have three AMD780G mobo based systems and they were one of the easiest systems to get up and running. I am using spdif in all three systems and all three work as expected.

I'd say try the latest drivers, maybe re-install windows see if that helps. The reason gigabyte sends you to other websites is because they are not the one that makes the spdif chip on the mobo, and aren't the one's that write the drivers, like AC97 sound chip almost every mobo in the day had a form of that, and not one of the mobo manufactures made that chip, so its not their drivers.

Also with any mobo or video card i don't believe you can use both hdmi audio and spdif audio at the same time, unless they are using different audio sources, IE spdif us being used by music and video game programs, and hdmi audio is being used by dvd playback applications, yes you can do that, but only one default audio source can be used at a time.

- Josh

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I had two gigabyte 780 boards die within 3 days of receipt. I gave up after that and went to the Biostar 8200 board.

I never had problems with gigabyte until those boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts