AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm the guy who owns a BOSE Accoustimass 16 II sub and reading this forum makes me realize I'm a little fish in a BIIIG sea. II'd like to upgrade but need some help. I've been reading great things about the SVS subs but I'm open to suggestions. I've got a budget in the $500-600ish range. I've read ported vrs sealed and still not sure. So hopefully you all can help me out? 

Here is what we've got to work with: 

Room Dimensions: 17ft long x 12ft wide x 8ft high

Def Tech Mythos 10 Center

Def Tech Mythos 3 (L/R)

Mirage Omni Sat (Sur L/R)

Bose Accoustimas 16 II Sub

Onkyo's TX-NR626 Receiver

PS3 Blu-Ray

My set up: 

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
The Bose unit isn't a subwoofer it's a midbass module. For that room I'l look into SVS PB1000. I own two SVS subs, a SB Ultra 13 and SB 12+, had a couple of SVS cylinders also.

PB1000 is pretty big I assume you'll put it to the left somewhere?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1520176/help-me-redeem-myself-bose-accoustimas-sub#post_24418327

The Bose unit isn't a subwoofer it's a midbass module. For that room I'l look into SVS PB1000. I own two SVS subs, a SB Ultra 13 and SB 12+, had a couple of SVS cylinders also.

PB1000 is pretty big I assume you'll put it to the left somewhere?
I have a space under the right side of the TV were the Bose Midbass module is located. The opening is 24in wide and 16in high.

What about the SVS SB12-NSD? 

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1520176/help-me-redeem-myself-bose-accoustimas-sub#post_24418329

Jump on a PB-12NSD for 599.00 in the outlet section if/when they restock.

What about the SB12-NSD? I have an email into SVS for thier input as well. 

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I do prefer sealed boxes, but you have to be aware like for like, the ported boxes/cylinders offer higher dB max output. Whether you'd reach the limits in your room with the cheapest SB, or say if you went for the Ultra? Depends, if it's just for music, no problem at all, but if you like it loud for action movies? Getting a PB/PC in your budget probably a safer option.

I think my SB 12+ would struggle in a large room...but I do know the newer SVS SB have a few more dB output (ie SB2000)

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupin2  /t/1520176/help-me-redeem-myself-bose-accoustimas-sub#post_24418355

I think sealed can work well in your size room. You will loose some output vs the PB in the 16-25hz area, but being you are coming from a bose acoustimass modules, the sb12 will be a huge upgrade. Also you have a 45day free trial with SVS.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Good point, you have free trail and it's free return shipping too? If so I'd probably get PB1000 and SB1000, take a week off from work couple of days per sub movies, music, then change back and decide which you prefer/which is most suitable. Or if you don't like either, and want to step up a model, or three

·
Registered
7,997 Posts

Great points about the free trial and free shipping both ways, makes trying the SVS subs a no brainer. I agree with the thoughts that a sealed sub would work well in your room and they pointed out, coming from the Bose you will probably think you've died and gone to bass heaven with the SB12. You're making a great move getting rid of the Bose and looking at the quality sub from SVS.

On another note, just to add some variety to your options, you could also look at Rythmik, Hsu, and PSA (but I don't think PSA has anything for less that $800).

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

The PB1000 should fit if you put it on its side, if that is the only placement option in the room.  Remember, subwoofer placement is flexible....how about a rear corner of the room?

As far as a sealed sub, you should get good room gain which helps low frequency output for movies.  What are your wishes?  Mostly music?  Mostly movies? Both?

I do think the best advice would be to order both a ported and sealed sub, and demo both with something like WoTW pod emergence scene to see which you prefer for movies.  They should sound quite similar for music, not much difference above 40Hz with similar sealed and ported subs.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupin2  /t/1520176/help-me-redeem-myself-bose-accoustimas-sub#post_24419273

Does it effect anything if you turn a sub on its side? 
Other than helping it to fit, no.  Although you might want a rubber mat or some rubber bumpers under it to prevent vibration.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupin2  /t/1520176/help-me-redeem-myself-bose-accoustimas-sub#post_24418355

The SVS SB12-NSD would work wonderfully in your size room. Has plenty of output for your size space. While SVS ported subs will dig deeper, the SB12 will have way more extension than your Acoustimass does and will sound light years better. Read about it in this review . Note that the listening test was in a 4,000 cubic ft. room.

If you are determined to get that extra bit of extension that the PB-1000 has, you could spend more for the new SB-2000, the updated version of the SB12, which has better extension that is at least as good as the PB-1000.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts

A fine choice.  Good luck with the new sub, I am sure you will be impressed!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Reactions: Krupin2
1 - 20 of 30 Posts