AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a regular over in the htpc forum, but i've been lurking here.

some pretty good ideas here.

hopefully you guys can help me out. I've attached some pictures, i'm looking to redesign the tv wall and dress things up a bit.

i really don't want to take down and build up the main wall, but i wouldn't be opposed to refacing it and redoing the opening. also the side wall with the posters is up for some design work maybe.

anyway let me know what you think, feel free sketch over my photos. TIA

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Paint the screenwall black, including the speaker grills.

Add a marquee above.

Put an electric acoustically transparant drop screen in the marquee.

Get a projector (some one was going to say it
).

Probably add a smoked glass or perferated metal door to the rack. Maybe perf metal and mirror it up on the other side.

Sort of like this (pardon my lame drawing skills):

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
bump?... you have to be more patient. Remember you are asking for help for your media room but you are doing so in the dedicated theater construction forum. You may want to the the General Media Room section for answers from folks with similar rooms.

Me, I would start with paint. Darker colors on the walls and trim. I actually like the wall design, just not the colors. Then, decide whether or not you want to darken the ceiling.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Do you have room to rotate the equipment rack 90 degrees and have it open on the wall to the left?

If yes, I would design a AT fabric covered wall hiding all the speakers. Add a roll down screen and projector.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk /forum/post/16953752

bump?... you have to be more patient. Remember you are asking for help for your media room but you are doing so in the dedicated theater construction forum. You may want to the the General Media Room section for answers from folks with similar rooms.

Me, I would start with paint. Darker colors on the walls and trim. I actually like the wall design, just not the colors. Then, decide whether or not you want to darken the ceiling.

Sorry i wasnt sure which to post in.

paint is definitely going to happen. I'm not sure i want the dark ceiling, its still a family style room where i do entertaining. I think i may keep the light trim and go with darker paint on the wall.

i think i may black out the inside of the cutouts and dress up the speaker grills, right now they are made out of acoustic fabric around a small frame covering wall opening. but i don't like the way it looks it looks cheap, i want some built to look a little more solid.

i like the basic design of it but its too plain and the speakers are way over sized. i have a decent speakers for the front speaker but they aren't in wall speakers.

The left and right front are about 1x1x1.5 high, and they sit on the floor behind the grills. the center channel is about 1.5 feet long by 6" high it sits on a frame that was built when i framed it. the sub woofer sits under the tv as shown.

what ever i decide to cover with i would like to be removable so i can replace things down the road. the tv base lifts off so the floor speakers and sub are accessible, as well as access to the wiring and power below. behind the entertainment center is a hvac closet but it doesn't run the full length. i could also add an access panel behind as that just a play room for my kids.

the center channel above is the only really non accessible area and would need to be able to be accessed from the front.

to answer some of the other questions, no there isn't room to move the component cutout to the side wall, there is wiring all through it and it would be a mess to change, i'd have to take down the wall and reconstruct.

i also don't want to close off cutout becuase its house a computer and it would get way to hot in there.

what is the marquee that was suggested? any links you could send so i could see it better?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Can you take a photo of the HVAC closet? It would be helpful to see how much room there it.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Bite the bullet rebuild the wall. Quit trying to put lipstick on a pig.

At a minimum you need to think about using acoustically transparent fabric and staple up to the entire wall like wall paper hiding all the speakers. Paint the insides of the TV niche and the equipment rack Black.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/16954604

I was thinking something like this (the curved soffit) in my old room:

I like that, i'll get some picks of the cabinet tonight when i get home...

any ideas of the side wall, i though about a bench with cushions on top, just to add to the room, but it would cover up where the right front speaker sits, i guess i could move the speaker closer under the tv and black out that whole area, so the black fabric wall would extend up the ceiling and to the limits just out side the opening for the tv.

what kind of fabric do i use? how do i hang it? i imagine it has some kind of texture, does it collect dust over time?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Fabric: http://www.gikacoustics.com/gom_fabrics.html#build

It is only 66 inches wide so need to plan how to cover a wall and a strategy to deal with the seams. You can staple directly to the drywall but you need to cover the staples with something like molding or piece of trim wrapped in fabric and nailed to the wall. You can put in finish nails between the weave and sink below the surface with a nail set.

Alternatively you can stretch the fabric around wood frames and then attach the frames to the wall. There is a whole thread devoted to this topic authored by Gpowers.

As for dust that's what vacuums are for. All my walls are covered in GOM fabric. It is what is used in office cubicles so that gives you an idea of it's durability.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
something like this...

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
You only have so much room and that bench takes a big bite. I actually gave some thought to making a recommendation of boarding up the window and rebuilding your media wall there. It looks wider and you can get the speaker away from the side wall.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here is a floorplan to help you see what going on. (sorry about the size)

If i take out that wall i now have to recarpet the floor, so we are talking a few hundred $ to do that since there is no carpet under it. So i'd rather not do that.

im not sure how much room the bench would take up, that wall is wasted space anyway, i could at least make a seat and storage out of it. i have about 1.5 ft to the sofa now, there is an end table there now.

i could also lift the speakers up to that point if i need to keep them out away from the tv. on that note is there a problem tucking the right an left under the tv? or should i always try to keep them spread out wide?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think i may ditch the side bench. and go with covering the front with a fabric cover frame.

if i get a sheet of plywood and cutout the openings, then stretch the fabric over and around and staple to the back how do i then mount that frame to my existing wall?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.