AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before, but I'm ready this time! Want to upgrade!

I have a Sony Cineza HS20 which I bought new and have loved over the years. It still throws a great picture in my opinion.

I have a dedicated basement theater room (light controlled) with dark walls and a white ceiling. Room is 24' L x 14'5" W x 7'9" H.

My ceiling mount is pretty fixed and is ~14' from the screen. So I need to be able to throw 100" from ~14'.

My screen is a 100" homemade barely off-white blackout cloth (screen material off an ebay seller I forget the name of).

I watch mostly sports and some tv shows with the occasional blu-ray thrown in (not a big movie buff).

I have a Control4 automation system, so a projector with DISCRETE IR codes (especially on/off) or RS232 control is important.

3D is NOT important at all.

I'm looking to spend in the $750-$1250 range. I "think" I"d rather stay away from DLP, but not positive.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No suggestions?

The 100" with ~14' throw narrows my choices it seems.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Probably limited to a few LCD models with 100" at 14' really.

With that wide of a wall, have you thought of doing something like a 120" screen? That really opens the choices up at 14' throw distance, and the extra screen size is nice.

I'm at 110" diag on a ~11' wide wall. It's the biggest I can go with and still have tower speakers next to the screen, but I sometimes wish it was a tad bigger at 120". I sit about 9-10' away, which is fairly close by what some people say here, but I don't mind it at all. I've actually gotten more comfortable sitting in the front section of a theater after having this setup for a while.

Just a thought, as you'll constantly have very limited projector choices with a "relatively long" throw like that.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an idea. I could enlarge the screen fairly easy.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I dunno the HS20 but wonder R_Willis if you got a bigger and better screen you might be happy with it a great while longer. And then too, if you get the right screen, you'll be ready when going to 4K or 3D or whatever other new PJ you might spring for. Oh, and it is likely be a LOT BRIGHTER than your BOC which of course will help as well.

My room is approx. like yours with a 10' wide 50" tall screen on a 15' wide wall with my pj 14' away and it all works great. I did (truly) worry when I put-up the 10' screen that it was going to be too big, overwhelming, nausea-inducing, you-name-it but we're just loved it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts