Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have negociated these two sets to where the Hitachi is $650 less than the Samsung. Assuming I take delivery of a defect-free set, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks for being such an awesome community!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't know too much about the Hitachi, but I've got the sammy you're looking at. I have yet to adjust it at all since I got it out of the box, and the HD picture looks great. I've been very pleased with it and would recommend it. Then again, haven't seen the other option.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
singersay, you are ultimately the only one who can answer your question about TV preference. That said, I have the HLN617W and would not trade it for any other display device I have yet seen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by singersay

I have negociated these two sets to where the Hitachi is $650 less than the Samsung. Assuming I take delivery of a defect-free set, which one would you buy and why?
I've chosen the Hitachi 50V500 over any DLP (Samsung, RCA) simply because I can't stand the rainbows, which is particularly obvious on the Samsung. The new RCA Scenium DLP seems to have much less noticeable rainbows but it still gave me headache after watching it for only a few minutes. I'm one of those people who are particularly sensitive to flashes on a TV screen or computer monitor. With the red green and blue colors flashing on the TV screen 60 times per second is enough to give me instant headache. Most LCD projection TV's use 3 LCD panels (versus the single DLP chip in all current DLP TVs), so you're seeing all three colors at once with rock-solid picture. I can watch the Hitachi for 6 hours straight without any eye strain, which is impossible (for me at least) with any DLP or CRT TV's.

But of course if the rainbows really don't bother you and you don't get headache watching a DLP TV, it does offer better contrasts and deeper blacks than most LCD TV (though the Hitachi does pretty well in contrasts and blacks too).

The best way is to go to your local store where they have the two TVs set up side-by-side, and watch and compare them for an hour at least, playing with the various adjustments to see which set gives you the most satisfactory picture while not giving you headache (literally).

You may also want to check out the "Hitachi LCD Rear Projection Owners Thread" here on avsforum for more info about the Hitachi from actual and potential owners.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hitachi is also coming out with Director's series sets: 50VX500 and 60VX500. You might wait and see how well they are received before buying. The major difference appears to be the Director's series use 1280x720 LCDs for native 720p.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am also looking at these two sets. For the moment I think the Hitachi is the way to go. Eye Fatigue seems like a big factor. I also want to wait for the new high end Hitachi. Regardless of your choice, let us know how you like your purchase.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Take a look at them closely and decide which one is best for you. That's the best advice I can give ya. :) BTW, don't forget about your significant others' opinion. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.