AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got this tv from walmart on black friday for $198. im liking it so far. it is in my dorm in college, not to big and not to small.

i have it hooked up to 480i cable right now, and it looks fuzzy. this has me worried. i know its prob cus it SD, but still im wondering if there is a way to fix it

im going to use the TV mainly with my ps3, my HDMI cable is comming today, and i think messing with the picture quality when on my HD ps3 would be better than messing with it in SD.

so what settings should i set my TV and my PS3 to?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
480i is going to be fuzzy at best. Not a whole lot you can do about that.

As for PS3, that's a 720 set, so set up the console to output 720. TV settings are best set with a calibration disc since environment is totally different in every instance.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I recommend renting the Avia disc if you can get your hands on one, through a friend or a rental place.

However, the quicky THX Optimizer can be found on THX mastered DVDs, which includes many Pixar movies.

Many of this forum know about the THX Optimizer ( http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/index.html ) that is included with a THX certified DVD. It is not the best calibration DVD but it is better than not using any type of calibration DVD to calibrate your HDTV.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Maybe there is something on some Blu Ray discs now, I dont know.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
It doesnt change your settings. It guides you through some test patterns and you change your settings that you are already able to change to tweak the image in an appropriate manner.

Frankly, after using the Calibration Disc, I punched up the color and contrast anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ohh ok. i see. thanks a lot guys, i got the HDMI cord up and am very happy with how it looks on my ps3. its better than i thought it would be, especally after tweeking the picture settings. i turned the color and contrast up, the brightness a bit down, set it to warm picture setting and turned the sharpness slightly up. now it looks very nice.

just one more thing. i read that you can make the picture look even better by going into the service menu. can someone explain this to me?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Service menu settings are supposed to be accessibly by technicians only and are not available on all sets. There are ways for consumers to get into these menus on certain models, but frankly it's not worth the trouble in many cases. There are settings there that can brick your set if you change them. I would just stick to the main menu settings....not even sure if Emerson sets have accessible service menus or not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for the necropost, but I've got the same exact model TV in question, and I'm looking for the service menu to perform a full calibration. Some other Emerson's have mentioned a secret button hidden under the remote casing, but I've found no such button upon dis-assembly. Feel free to PM me if you feel the information is best kept under wraps...

There ARE good reasons to get in the service menu, such as elimination of the overscan...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Afraid I can't help.

Consumer tip: that's one bad thing about buying off-brands. Forget quality, forget snobyness. Bottom line: there maybe 10 people who haver your TV who *may* be members here but there are 1000 Samsung members, and ur chances that somebody knows the answer is..... well u do the math.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts