AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first timer with all Audio equipment. The only knowledge I have is what the Best Buy Salesman told me a few days ago.

Long Story short, I just got a new apartment in NYC. It is literally brand new and wired well in terms of outlets and cable jacks. I plan on living there for a while so I want to set the place up right.

The main room is quite large with cathedral ceilings (top floor). Attached to the living room is the kitchen with a breakfast bar separating the two slightly. I didn't take measurements, but I am guessing the room to be about 22'x16' (plus the kitchen). Unfortunately it looks like the only reasonable place for the couch is across the room the long way, although I wont know for sure until I get all of the furniture in. There is a double window on one end of the room, with a double sliding door on the same wall and finally a window in the kitchen. Needless to say the room lets in a lot of light. ( I attempted to attach pictures. Hopefully they upload and can help you visualize the room.)

Now, based on all of this, can anyone help me set the place up the right way? A little background for you. I watch a lot of sports! Followed by things on the Discovery channel and programs of that nature. I occasionally watch movies, and I listen to a lot of music, every genre that you can imagine, I listen to it.

My main focus is the correct audio system for the room. I have a T.V. that will work for now, although I would listen to any ideas for a more up to date T.V. for my likenesses. I would appreciate any and all advice that people can throw my way! I am on a new graduate budget, but I am willing to make this purchase something that will last. Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can you tell us more about your current TV? It may not make sense to upgrade or replace it, depending on it's abilities.

Depending on if you want a stereo or surround sound configuration, you have a lot of options in the room, I'd look at some suggested speaker layout images, and see what you think you can fit with furniture. See the following as examples:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html (2.1 and 5.1 are what we're interested in, mainly)
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/ (5.1 and TrueHD/Master Audio 7.1 are what we're interested in, mainly)

Once you decide on that, figure out what your budget is, and you can go from there.

Given that you're in an apartment, a subwoofer is probably a bad idea, so floor-standing speakers or quality bookshelves will probably be a better choice, surrounds, center, etc can be added as desired depending on your budget and placement options.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
For the sound system I'd opt for a very nice two channel setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.