AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I wish I would have known about this site before buying my speakers, I have a set of the athena Audition series which sound great for the price, but the sub only delivers 32 to 150hz at 300W. Of course at the time I wasnt planning on a dedicated room and my wife would yell if I had it too loud anyway.

Now I am about 1/2 way to completion of my theatre and I would like to shake the room a little, I like the ideas of using a nice sub rather than buttkickers.

Would adding a second sub add a shake to the room? They make a bigger model that runs 23 to 150hz at 400W.

Would the 2 subs work well to shake up the room? Or if I bought a better sub is it not important to be "timber matched" with the other speakers? If so what reasonably priced subs would you recommend?

·
Registered
141 Posts
An HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3 would be a great choice. SVS has a nice variety, as well. I would recommend getting one newer sub that goes much lower. How much are you willing to spend? A VTF-3 is a steal at its price. A PB2-Plus or one of their cylinder subs would also be a great idea. You can e-mail them with your room dimensions and budget and SVS will give you a great recommendation.

Timbre matching is not a big deal with subs...I believe due to the fact you can't hear frequencies below a certain point.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
FWIW, those specs are insufficient to determine anything.

1. SPL output cannot be determined without knowing both efficiency and power; and even then excursion/acceptable distortion will limit the frequencies at which you can achieve that. 100W into a horn loaded sub-woofer with 100dB/1W/1 meter efficiency would produce the same output as 1000W into a sub good for 90dB/1W/1 meter. The sub-woofers in my main speakers are good for 117dB @ 80Hz; and although just down 6dB @ 20Hz linear output is about 100dB @ 40Hz and 82dB @ 20Hz (while great for most music, this is insufficient for full-range home theater use).

2. No deviation is stated at the frequency extremes. You could have output at 20Hz that is 10dB down from a baseline, or just 1dB off. That's a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It's going to take a LOT to shake a room. First you have to bolt the speaker to the floor and then hope your house does not come apart. If you want to shake the seats a little and come in with a low cost, try the Aura Bass Shakers. I think they are about $30 for a pair of them. I am still building my own sub (i.e. no sub in the room yet) and people are amazed at the amount of bass they THINK they feel while watching a movie. I have one bass shaker in each seat. For $30 and using an old amp or receiver, it's worth a try before spending $1000 on a new sub mentioned above.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt realize the bass shakers were that much cheaper than buttkickers, I suppose if I set them to go off only at low frequency it could owrk well. I just didnt want the seats shaking for any kind of low level signal like a deep voice, etc.

Also what is the advantage of running dual subs, it seems to be a very popular option people chose in a dedicated theatre.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pestario

Also what is the advantage of running dual subs, it seems to be a very popular option people chose in a dedicated theatre.
When you add a second sub next to the first one your maximum volume goes up 6dB at all frequencies. Most sub-woofers have insufficient output for theatrical level playback.

There's a sense of spaciousness you get from stereo bass down to about 40Hz. Obviously, this is missing with small speakers and an 80Hz cross-over.

It's also one way to achieve more uniform bass response (corner placement + parametric EQ is probably better).

·
Registered
632 Posts
You don't mention the size of your room. Naturally the bigger the more bass you need to really feel it.

I haven't tried bass shakers yet but am really tempted to get a pair. Do a search in the archives for them. When winter comes around I'll probably start construction on my home theater (got distracted by sailing this summer, will take the boat out in late October).

I have Hsu VTF-3. By itself it makes a car crash feel sound just like a car crash. Das boot is totally awesome. You can actually feel the impact on your body of the sound waves. Bass shakers may be a great addition for further adding impact to the HT experience but without the sound I think it would be hollow.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've got a pair of SVS Ultras and yesssss..... I shake the room. And the house. :D

Being an SVS owner, I'm of course biased, but I think any of their cylinder subs would be a significant upgrade for you and are an excellent value. They also have some great new box style ones that are getting a lot of good reviews.

Gordon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.