AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought the sonic decoder pack after reading about it on here... i've been using zoom before with older filters being used.. anyways... I've downloaded it and tried installing it only to find it saying that Windows XP is required.....!?!?!?

Have i brought the wrong one, i didn't see any other decoder packs available... not too expensive but gutting all the same :(

Anyone got any ideas? is this stuff only for windows XP!?!?

·
Registered
826 Posts
It will not install on anything other than XP.

It is actually called "Sonic DVD Decoder Pack for Windows XP"

This question gets asked about twice a week here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i just get the filters out and register them myself... i have MY unlock code... I just need someone with WinXP who has the files extracted.. or is this not possible!?!?

I can't believe this...

Is the player good.. I'll buy the sonic surround player if its impressing me... I already have windvd platinum... I'd consider theatre tek but i really want dolby headphone support for a short while as i use headphones with my setup at the moment...

Thanks for the quick reply midi-guy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... well i have access to winxp off my sisters machine.. can i install it on her machine.. registering it with my unlock codes and then finally have filters that will work when copied back onto my machine and registered by zoom!?!?

are there any options like this, or does the unlock code stick with the machine ID or something and verify each time the codec is used, meaning i wont ever be able to use them on anything other than the machine they were registered on...

I realise asking for the files is a bit of a no no... I will try this route anyways.. it can only NOT work :) thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Let us know if it does work. I have windows xp machines at work but windows 2000 at home. I might do the same thing if it works.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The "protection" is in kcams.dll so just getting the 2 decoder .dll's out won't work. It might work if you install and register it on the XP machine, copy the 3 files over and export the registry entries created by sonic and import those as well.

It is rather silly to make them "XP" only when we all know that TT/CP1.5 use the same filters and both of those will install on Win2k.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read that there are probs doing a copy.. finding the exact file and registry changes that happened when installing on XP may let you replicate this on a 2K machine with success.. but to be honest, its too much hassle...

I've been looking... and Theatre Tec looks superb but its lack of audio out support is a drag... its inticing that they get updates before Sonic Cinema PLayer apparently does but for the moment I can't use it without analogue out... buying TT to get the filters to use zoom is an option but i'd rather the main player worked at least in some form on its own... I am going to probably go down the sonic route if i see an improvement in picture quality, stability.. over windvd platinum...

I assume i can then use sonics filters with zoom (and reclock) fine ... and the full cineplayer does offer updates doesn't it to registered users, or have there never been any!??!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.