AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up with Dishnet several years ago and had one of their original HD packages, which included several HD channels that are currently only available through their HD Platinum package, including EPIX1, EPIX2, Paladia, Indieplex, Retroplex, MGM, etc. --- Unfortunately, earlier tonight, I purchased what I thought was an "upgrade," and in the process lost all of these channels.

This supposed upgrade was to the America's top 250 package. So, yes, I did get a handful of channels that I didn't have before, but like I said, I lost those platinum channels. To get those channels back, I have to pay an extra 10 bucks per month. So, okay, I'm willing to pay it (even though by this point I'm paying 50 bucks more per month for only a handful of new channels), but the customer service rep is telling me now that a tech needs to come out because my dish needs to be set up to receive channels from a different orbital.

Apparently, when I "upgraded" to America's top 250, my "orbitals" were updated as well. And now I can't get the platinum channels because they are on a different orbital. None of this really computes for me. It seems to me that if I received the channels earlier tonight, I should be able to receive them now. But they insist they cannot turn on the platinum channels unless I have a tech come out.

I'm beyond the point of frustration with their customer service people and I am hoping someone here can tell me if what they are saying is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
By orbitials you mean the satellite locations that you have your dish aimed at. If no one moved or replaced your dish, this has not changed and your problem can be fixed by a CSR via phone call. Most HD customer have dishes aimed to receive three satellites at 121,119 and 110 degrees except East coast users on 61.5, 72 and 77 degrees. EPIX Hd I believe is on the 121 and 77 locations.

John

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Dish is using 2 "Arcs" - Western is 119,110, and 129 (for HD), and Eastern is 61.5, 72.7, and 77. As long as you have a complete set of those, you should get most SD and HD programming Dish offers. If you have an international package that isn't on one of those sets, THEN you would need the other slots.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rep told me that his system wouldn't let him turn on the HD platinum package for me without having a service tech visit my house. I argued with the guy for about a half hour because he couldn't explain in any satisfactory manner why my dish could no longer receive stations that it had received just fine prior to my programming "upgrade."

I finally just gave up...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem Solved!

I decided to try another service rep this afternoon and he was able to turn on the Platinum channels without any problem whatsoever.

Hard to believe (or maybe not) that the previous rep argued with me for like a half hour the other night about whether I needed a tech to come out. I said I didn't. He said I did. Round and round we went. Turns out, I was right...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts