AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I figured I turn to you guys for some techniques on how to soundproof my apartment, or at least reduce the amount of noise my neighbors will hear from my sound system. I read the "soundproofing master thread" but since I can't start ripping up my drywall or construct anything, I'm kind of out of luck. Let me give you some specs to begin with.

Open floor plan leading into the kitchen, 10' high ceilings, about 14'x17', full carpet. I am in the top-middle of the complex (more like town homes) with 10" of concrete below, a firewall, and 6" air gap between apartments. The TV is on the wall leading to my bedroom and the sofa/satellite speakers are against the wall to my neighbors. Subwoofer is located next to the TV.  Heres a bad drawling of the layout: 

All my walls are empty as of now. I can hear my neighbors close doors from time to time so I assume they can hear my TV. Anything I can do to help my neighbors? I know adding items to my walls will help, but what do I add and where? I would like to spend around $200. 

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
not with the constraints of $200 and no construction.

Adding soft surfaces to the walls may reduce in room sound reflections and you might find that you can enjoy your TV at a lower volume.

You are also assuming that your TV will annoy your neighbors, time for a test, get them involved in providing some feedback of what they can hear.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For you, it sounds like your best bet would be to just simply hang area rugs on your walls. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference. My buddy has a towne house almost exactly like yours, and we did that at his place, and it worked like magic. He also put his speakers on stands instead of mounting them to the walls, that helped a lot too. And just for a little extra piece of mind, he insulated his door jamb as well. Those 3 simple things, made a TREMENDOUS difference in the amount of sound bleeding both in and out of his 'theater area'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts