AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 5 norh 4.0 ceramic speakers and a 8 y/o svs cylinder sub (i don't remember the model but it is their first generation largest mid-priced sub they made) in a 11x22 3rd floor room with 8 ft slanted ceiling (kind of like a barn roof). i've really liked my norhs, but one just got knocked off and broken. i was just going to replace the one speaker, but norh hasn't returned my emails and doesn't list ceramic speakers on their site anymore.

so, i have a budget of around $1500. i've thought about just replacing the 3 front channels and using the norhs in the rear. when i bought the norhs i had read an article that stated having 5 identical speakers was the best for surround and it made sense at the time.

so, i'm pretty overwhelmed with the options. i've looked at hsu hsb-1 and hsc-1. i've considered the current elt525 special on av123 and doing the skiing ninja upgrade. i'm considering the swan 2.1se and 1.1 center (this is over budget, but looks beautiful). i'm also looking at tweakcityaudio's waf-1 and then doing the skiingninja upgrade. i've just started looking at kits, but don't really know what my money would buy yet in that arena. i've read about aperion's, axioms, rockets, emotiva, elemental designs, fluance and hometheaterdirect.

the room is used for 95% ht, with mostly movies and a few concert discs. the two words i'd say i want to describe my experience are accurate and immersive. basically i'd love to take a step up from what i have, if that's possible for $1500. what do you all think? oh, btw, i'm also completely open to used speakers. i love to get the best bang for my buck.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I could whole-heartedly recommend the Hsu speakers and also Infinity Primus speakers, as those are what I use, and they work wonderfully. Another speaker brand which looks really solid is Ascend Acoustics, I think those CBM170's would be as capable as the Hsu and Primus speakers.

I think the ELT's and WAF speakers would be good also, but I would guess they wouldn't handle the louder, more dynamic material as well as the above mentioned speakers, due to the smaller size and drivers, and lesser sensitivity. I think they would still be good, but if you like to rock hard every now and then, I would look to larger speakers. Also, the owner of AV123 just got arrested, so who knows what the future of that company is? It may still be OK to order from them as long as you aren't worried about future support of their product.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can definitely recommend the Aperion line. I just bought a pair of used 632LR's, and they are amazing. And with their 30 day return program including both way shipping, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamsel /forum/post/18217356

Thanks. What is the current thinking about having all 5 speakers being exactly the same?

IMO, it wouldn't hurt anything to have all 5 the same but it doesn't necessarily help either. The surrounds aren't really that important as they don't deliver anything but background effects anyway. Your front stage is by far the most important and should at least all be the same brand and preferably the same line. For HT, your sub will be extremely important too. If you have a good front and good sub, you're set for HT and/or 2 channel music.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Two paradigm monitor 9's and a CC-290 or CC-390 would put you at right around $1500 especially if you can haggle the dealer some.

Paradigm's new monitor line is really excellent and now incorporates parts from their studio line. Give em a listen

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I would wait to see the tweak city pro-10's.

They are VERY promising and you should be able to get 3 for about 1150 shipped. they aren't out yet so if you are in a hurry then you might need to go elsewhere.

You could then get JBL 8420a for sides and if you get then used you will be under budget with a very sensitive and dynamic HT system. If you sell your current system you will be well under budget.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You might want to go audition speakers locally and find out what you type of speakers(sound) you like. If your just looking for a blind buy,I would also suggest visiting saturdayaudio.com and look at PSB & Monitor Audio.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18218186

They are VERY promising and you should be able to get 3 for about 1150 shipped. they aren't out yet so if you are in a hurry then you might need to go elsewhere.

You could then get JBL 8420a for sides and if you get then used you will be under budget with a very sensitive and dynamic HT system. If you sell your current system you will be well under budget.

+1

If these speakers live up to their promise they will by far, be better than anything else suggested here. High SPL, excellent dynamics and good mid-bass. Three of them will leave you with as little bit of money left over.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Monitor Audio RS8 and RS center from saturday audio. For a bit more you could the newer RX6 from a local dealer. This is for 3.0.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about the 4.0 casualty. If you are considering letting the remaining ones go, to finance their replacement, I may be interested. Can you fill me in on color/condition/etc?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18218186

+1 also. Except I think goon meant JBL 8320 or maybe he meant 8340a for surrouds. The Pro10s do look very promising.

I'd also throw in the Emotiva ERD-1 as a surround.. but seriously the best thing for you to do is go and liten for yourself... I own Rocket 850 and you could get the front 3 in your price range but I'd only consider it if you're a big fan of the Paradigm studio 100 type of sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everybody. i was about to pull the trigger on the svs and the hsu and do a comparison. i dug up an old email for the owner of norh and wrote to him, he's seeing if they can do anything, which would be much cheaper and to be honest for ht i really like my little ceramic pigs (if you've never seen a norh speaker you should check them out www.norh.com )

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
As long as you are happy.

Personally I have a compulsion to always have something better. Full range drivers are always a bit of a fallacy and always have trade offs (some very major). There is something to be said for form factor and knowing a speakers sound though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18228209

As long as you are happy.

Personally I have a compulsion to always have something better. Full range drivers are always a bit of a fallacy and always have trade offs (some very major). There is something to be said for form factor and knowing a speakers sound though.

well. at least it will hold me over till the speakers you recommended are available. they look amazing, but ugly. hopefully the finished product will look nicer.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsamsel /forum/post/18232092

well. at least it will hold me over till the speakers you recommended are available. they look amazing, but ugly. hopefully the finished product will look nicer.

Looks of speakers are like brains on women... After though.

Sorry I had to. But I like my speakers big and ugly and my women...

Ok whatever you get the point haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts