AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize 5k isn't a lot in terms of home theatre but I have a modest area to put my "man cave" and I am being realistic on what I should really be spending on "TV" BUT I do want nice picture and "good" sound.

My early thoughts are

TV

KURO PDP-5020FD $2500

Receiver

VSX-94TXH ~$1200

Speakers

Orb Audio Peoples choice with 7.1 upgrade $1300

I already own a blue ray player. The room is the typical spilt level home basement, ie long rectangle cut in half. Viewing distance is about 8 feet from screen to couch and I have the ability to wire all the speakers in proper placements. I think 50 inches for a tv might be too big (if that is even possible :p).

I'm not stuck on TV size or having to be plasma, I simply searched for best plasma and best AV receiver and those two are what popped up. The orb speakers seem to get great reviews, but like most people I am a little hesitant about buying something I can't listen to first.

Something about my above choices seems "too easy". Any help or other suggestions is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM7 /forum/post/15552300

I realize 5k isn't a lot in terms of home theatre but I have a modest area to put my "man cave" and I am being realistic on what I should really be spending on "TV" BUT I do want nice picture and "good" sound.

My early thoughts are

TV

KURO PDP-5020FD $2500

Receiver

VSX-94TXH ~$1200

Speakers

Orb Audio Peoples choice with 7.1 upgrade $1300

I already own a blue ray player. The room is the typical spilt level home basement, ie long rectangle cut in half. Viewing distance is about 8 feet from screen to couch and I have the ability to wire all the speakers in proper placements. I think 50 inches for a tv might be too big (if that is even possible :p).

I'm not stuck on TV size or having to be plasma, I simply searched for best plasma and best AV receiver and those two are what popped up. The orb speakers seem to get great reviews, but like most people I am a little hesitant about buying something I can't listen to first.

Something about my above choices seems "too easy". Any help or other suggestions is much appreciated.

50" is the perfect sized set. If you want to save some money, you could buy a Panasonic plasma. Not as good as a Pioneer, but it is very close and costs significantly less.

As for a receiver, why not go with a Denon 1909? It has a ton of features and costs less than half what you posted.

As for speakers, look at SVS packages. You will get a great sub and a beautiful speaker set.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Where is the sub? EDIT - I guess its in that package - the SVS recomendation is a good one.

I'd take $500 out of the receiver budget and get a sub.

I'd also go projector over tv (panny, epson, sony all have machines in the 2-3K range). 50" is too small. Build a DIY screen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm assuming that when you say you want "good" audio, you mean that between picture and sound, sound is your top priority. If that's the case,I'm liking your direction so far. Let me throw a couple alternatives at you:

- Consider a receiver/amp combo. You could buy an lower level receiver that has HDMI, Hi-res decoding (like an Onkyo 606) and buy a 5 channel Emotiva amp (shoot for 200w/ch). Emotiva has a big sale going on now. You can then use the receiver's pre-amp outs to feed the Emotiva. The better quality amps would give you better dynamics and more "live-ness" to the sound (my opinion)

- I would also consider shifting to the Panasonic. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Pioneer 5080, and would buy it again. But if you have a hard $5k limit and sound is your top priority, then I would consider going with Panasonic and using the savings to go toward the receiver/amp combo OR investing in room treatments (sound absorbtion panels, bass traps). Those things will give you huge bang for your audio buck.

If my assumption is wrong and sound isn't a big deal for you, stick with your current plan. Sounds great!

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fellas

Thanks so much for you input! I am trying to strike the balance between sound and picture. I have an older samsung 42" plasma and the deficiencies it has are distracting to me so I want a better picture BUT I don't need 10k worth of better picture. The panasonic sounds and looks like a good route and I like the receiver amp combo idea. I am not too sure about doing the projection thing. I should have said this before, this setup will be my primary TV as well, cable, etc.

Again, thanks for the input, keep those ideas coming.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I use my projector as my primary TV and love it. I also use it for video games and movies.

If you can control ambient light in your room, then I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. Otherwise, stick with an LCD or Plasma.

You can definitely get a quality 1080p projector, screen, mount, cable, etc. bundle in the $2500 price range.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM7 /forum/post/15553402

Fellas

Thanks so much for you input! I am trying to strike the balance between sound and picture. I have an older samsung 42" plasma and the deficiencies it has are distracting to me so I want a better picture BUT I don't need 10k worth of better picture. The panasonic sounds and looks like a good route and I like the receiver amp combo idea. I am not too sure about doing the projection thing. I should have said this before, this setup will be my primary TV as well, cable, etc.

Again, thanks for the input, keep those ideas coming.

a projector is very nice if you have a dedicated area and it is light controlled. You can get a Panasonic Plasma for 1800, a Denon 1909 for 500, and SVS or HSU speakers for 1200. That leaves you 1500 left in the bank for any future upgrades.

You may THINK you want to spend more on the AVR, but you are better off with the best speakers you can buy. The jump in sound quality is minimal jumping from a $500 AVR to a $1000 AVR. If you really want to spend the entire amount, get the best speakers you can...

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 on going the projector route. I just can't visualize something being a "home theater" without a projector. It's just a room with a TV and some speakers.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks /forum/post/15555075

+1 on going the projector route. I just can't visualize something being a "home theater" without a projector. It's just a room with a TV and some speakers.

If you were to get a projector, put some of that budget into staging and room decore. Nothing uglier than seeing a projector just thrown into a living room and calling it a theater! You need nice seating, properly painted walls, etc.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15555328

If you were to get a projector, put some of that budget into staging and room decore. Nothing uglier than seeing a projector just thrown into a living room and calling it a theater! You need nice seating, properly painted walls, etc.

As well as yearly bulb replacements. Especially if it's going to be used as a primary TV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15555048

a projector is very nice if you have a dedicated area and it is light controlled. You can get a Panasonic Plasma for 1800, a Denon 1909 for 500, and SVS or HSU speakers for 1200. That leaves you 1500 left in the bank for any future upgrades.

You may THINK you want to spend more on the AVR, but you are better off with the best speakers you can buy. The jump in sound quality is minimal jumping from a $500 AVR to a $1000 AVR. If you really want to spend the entire amount, get the best speakers you can...

I don't think the projector would be an option, I would like to, but as said without a quality room it really isn't worth it. When the time comes to sell this house and build a house then this will probably be the option. For now I think the plasma/lcd is the route.

What speakers or speaker "set" do you recommend? I am not looking for window shattering bass, I want good full sound, something that will "go with" the picture.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, looking around at some of ya'lls suggestions (thank you!)

TV

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U 1500

Receiver

Denon 1909 600

Speakers

HSU Ultra 1 2200

Leaves 700 bucks or so for other things.

Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My room is small, so everything I bought fit my needs just fine.

I went plasma with 42" version of the Panasonic, model TH-42PZ85U and love it! Picked it up for a little under a grand. My friend went LCD with the Samsung 120Hz (too many different models that I know nothing about) and it has this crazy filter setting that makes it look live. You may want to do some research to see which best suits your needs.

For the receiver, the Denons are supposedly better, but I went with Onkyo for bang for the buck. The Onkyo TX-SR606 I bought went for $350. The Onkyo TX-SR706 is in your price range and has pre-outs so you can pipe it to an amp for more driving power in the future. It's going for about $550. That's something to consider.

I can't tell you too much about speakers, but that HSU package that you have looks pretty killer!

Hope you figure it all out!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM7 /forum/post/15556723

Ok, looking around at some of ya'lls suggestions (thank you!)

TV

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U 1500

Receiver

Denon 1909 600

Speakers

HSU Ultra 1 2200

Leaves 700 bucks or so for other things.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Good picks all around. Try ABT for the receiver as it will be cheaper. Also, buy the Costco version of the Panasonic, as it is cheaper and has a 2 year warranty.

I would also look at the SVS speakers. They are better looking IMO

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I want to speak up for the receiver/amp combo one more time.

I think the benefit of quality ampilfication tends to be underrated. It really impacts the quality of the sound (the "liveness") regardless of which speakers you have. Now good amps won't make a $50 Walmart special sound like limited edition Klipsch, but it will guarantee that those Walmart specials will sound the best they possibly can. On the other hand, connecting those limited edition Klipsch to mediocre electronics will give you mediocre sound. I've lived it (and have the diminished bank account to prove it).

Just something to think about. Either way it looks like you will have a NICE set-up...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much to all for the help and suggestions so far. I really do like the receiver/amp combo idea, and maybe I am reading too much into this, but my fear is power requirements doing the combo route. With a plasma, receiver, amp, dvd player, cable box and whatever else on one circuit, I am thinking that is too much. I do have the ability to get another line run to the location BUT I don't think I have the capacity on my breaker panel, ie I am already at 150 amps for the house (adding up all the breakers in the panel).

I'm no electrition so I may be completely out to lunch on this.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM7 /forum/post/15563262

Thanks so much to all for the help and suggestions so far. I really do like the receiver/amp combo idea, and maybe I am reading too much into this, but my fear is power requirements doing the combo route. With a plasma, receiver, amp, dvd player, cable box and whatever else on one circuit, I am thinking that is too much. I do have the ability to get another line run to the location BUT I don't think I have the capacity on my breaker panel, ie I am already at 150 amps for the house (adding up all the breakers in the panel).

I'm no electrition so I may be completely out to lunch on this.

You're out to lunch on this. If you have a 15amp line going to this circuit, than you have more than enough to support everything you mentioned there. In Philadelphia, there are homes that are run off just one 15 amp line that meet code. A 15 amp line is more than enough to handle everything you have there. If you are really worried, you can waste some money on a "power regulator".

As for a receiver/amp combo, I think you are really wasting your money. Your sound is only as good as the speakers delivering it. I would put my money in this order:

Speakers and sub

Display

Receiver

Buy your cables from monoprice or blue jean so you can save a boat load.

I am sure that seperates may deliver a slightly subjective better sound, but for the budget you have in mind, you should really allocate your money in the way that I have outlined.

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
You can pick up a 58" Panny (TH-58PZ800U) for $2300 shipped over at the Big River. This way you get some more size (you'll want it, trust me).

Panasonic TH-58PZ800U - $2299.97 shipped
Onkyo TX-SR706 - $549.95 shipped
Swan Diva 6.1's - $849 (pair) shipped
Swan Diva C3 - $329 shipped
Swan Diva R3's - $419 (pair) shipped
eD A5-350 - $650 shipped

Total $5096.92, and would be quite a killer setup. Down the road, thrown in an Emotiva amp, and let those Swan's sing.

Obviously you can downsize the plasma, and put the extra coin into the sub, but I don't think it will take long to appreciate an extra 8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/15563372

As for a receiver/amp combo, I think you are really wasting your money. Your sound is only as good as the speakers delivering it. I would put my money in this order:

Speakers and sub

Display

Receiver

Buy your cables from monoprice or blue jean so you can save a boat load.

I am sure that seperates may deliver a slightly subjective better sound, but for the budget you have in mind, you should really allocate your money in the way that I have outlined.

This is also great advice. My breakdown is:

Display - $2299.97

Speakers and sub - $2247

Receiver - $549.95

Close, just a tad more emphasis on display (because it's such a crazy deal, and the 50" version is only $200 less!). You could jump down to a 46" 800U, or a lower quality 50" 85U- and throw more money into the sub, but I think you will enjoy 58" more than what you can squeeze over an A5-350 (AV123, SVS, Epik?), which isn't bad itself. Just my opinion

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topoftheroc /forum/post/15562914

I know I'm in the minority here, but I want to speak up for the receiver/amp combo one more time.

I think the benefit of quality ampilfication tends to be underrated. It really impacts the quality of the sound (the "liveness") regardless of which speakers you have.

I do agree with topoftheroc on this. Amplification has a way of making the best of the speakers you have. It can create better tonality, space, details, and dynamics. Some speakers may benefit more from amplification than others and you may want to even ask the speaker manufacturer if one is recommended or if the receiver you'll be getting is sufficient enough, which in most cases, it should be. But is it worth the extra money? Well, that's up to you. If I had the money, I would do it.

Also, the Denon 1909 and the Onkyo 606 both do not have pre-outs, so you will not be able to add an amp to either of those receivers. The Onkyo 706 will have the pre-outs to add an amp. Just a FYI.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts