AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I am in need of a 5.1 receiver, but want future functionality of 7.1 if possible. The speakers that will be used are Axiom M60ti fronts, Axiom VP150 center, Axiom QS8 surrounds, and SVS 20-39PCi sub.

I was looking at a Sony 3000ES or similar to get more watts, but I have always been partial to Pioneer, and was looking at their Elite VSX-54TX which is 110Watts per channel 7.1 and THX select. I don't have to have THX certification, but I thought that I would mention it.

I know that everyone has their preferred brands, whether Yamaha, HK, Onkyo, Denon, etc, but I am asking for as un-biased opinions as possible.

Thanks everyone for responding to yet another pathetic question about spending someone else's money.

Oh, before I forget, $850 is pretty much the upper limit of my spending. I could probably squeeze out another $50 somewhere, but that is about it, so even if there is some really great receiver for $1200 or something, I can't afford it.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Nick,

I have the 54tx right now and am loving every minute of it. I don't have 7.1 but love what it has to offer. Click on my www link and look at my review on the 54tx......send you a pm as well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I personally am going to wait for the reviews on the upcoming Outlaw 1070, which has DVI & component switching and flexible bass management options for analog 5.1. It's only rated at 65 watts per channel, but, like NAD gear, those ratings are very conservative.( I would use it as a pre-pro in conjunction with my 5 Marantz monoblocks). It will probably be in the 7-800 dollar range, which is quite reasonable considering a quality DVI switcher would run you 250-300 dollars.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I bet you'll find that new Outlaw 1070 will be closer to $1000, than it will be $700-$800. Sure they are saying it should come in at under $1000, but that could also mean it will be priced at something like $999.

Also once you start to see more receivers and pre-pros that can do DVI or better yet HDMI switching. You will also probably start seeing all those overpriced stand alone switchers dropping in price substantially. Not to mention, sooner or later everyone is going to end up going to HDMI over DVI. Which should also bring the stand alone DVI switcher prices down as well. My guess is, is when all that starts to happen. That you probably will start seeing the DVI switchers for $75-$100, and maybe even closer to $50.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i agree go with karman kardon and look at the refurbs from www.harmanaudio.com

i just got a avr 525 which is the precursor to the 630 and couldn't be more happy

the 630 is 7.1 and until you make the move to extra 2 channels can power a zone 2.

also i think that it is upgradable which is always a plus

and i would be carful looking at just watts, sony normally overates their recievers a lot

andy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stein1010
i agree go with karman kardon and look at the refurbs from www.harmanaudio.com

i just got a avr 525 which is the precursor to the 630 and couldn't be more happy

the 630 is 7.1 and until you make the move to extra 2 channels can power a zone 2.

also i think that it is upgradable which is always a plus

and i would be carful looking at just watts, sony normally overates their recievers a lot

andy
I had a Sony reciver that was supposedly 100wattsx5, I don't think it put out more then 25watts.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Yamaha htr 5790 ,I just got one to replace my old denon avr 3802 and it kicks ass,it,s THX select certified it does 7.1,component video upconversion ,you can layer DPL IIx over DTS and Dolby. And it costs around $600.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.