AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a flood in my basement a few weeks ago, luckily my floorstanding speakers are OK, but my sub did not survive (SVS PB-1000), anyway, between all the drywall damage etc I'm getting a pretty nice check from the insurance company, which will leave me some excess after repairs. My current "predicament":

1) Replace the PB-1000 directly and upgrade my center channel from a JBL LC1 to a JBL LC2

2) Take the money and get a slightly better sub; currently thinking of a Rythmik LV12R or MAYBE a PB-2000 or other? Keep the LC1 as center channel

3) Other suggestions? Keep in mind I do have to replace a sub.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently I have a JBL LC1 center, 2 JBL L880 Floorstanding for front L/R, 2 JBL L810s for surrounds, and an SVS PB-1000 sub, all running through a Denon 1913. My room is pretty big at about 530 sq ft, not a dedicated theater and is L shaped, it's used 100% for movies and baseball watching on the weekends.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
Is your jbl center not performing to your liking? Otherwise, why replace it?

Plenty of good sub advice on this forum and the subwoofer forum!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My center is fine, I'm just always looking to improve/upgrade when possible, just wondering if the jump is worth it, or if I'll be better off just upgrading the sub.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Whatever you do its not going to be a major upgrade so upgrade whatever you feel like is the weakest link. Only you can know that.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I think a better sub will make more of a difference than a sightly better center. The PB-2000 is a substantial upgrade over the PB-1000, and would be better suited in a large space like that.

Edit: You may want to check with SVS regarding your warranty, I am not sure if it covers something like this, but they have very good customer service and may be willing to give you a discount on a new purchase.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've talked to SVS about it, I'm not too worried about their warranty since my insurance is covering it, but i am interested in a discount... I was thinking of maybe switching over to a Rythmik LV12R, but if I can get the PB-2000 for less than $799, I might re-consider.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24437166

I've talked to SVS about it, I'm not too worried about their warranty since my insurance is covering it, but i am interested in a discount... I was thinking of maybe switching over to a Rythmik LV12R, but if I can get the PB-2000 for less than $799, I might re-consider.

Couldn't hurt to ask, I have seen them honor replacements outside of warranties, they are very good to their customers. They may give you a discount to upgrade to the PB-2000, it would be a worthwhile upgrade over the LV12R.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
I hope that works out okay for you...that web site looks pretty suspicious and as mentioned, no real specifications!

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
probably a great speaker...but anytime I see a web site with no specs and HEAVILY discounted speakers, I think white van!

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438307

probably a great speaker...but anytime I see a web site with no specs and HEAVILY discounted speakers, I think white van!

Not White Vann

The bookshelf weighs about 26 lbs each

MB Quart has supplied parts to

Thiel Audio

Aerial Acoustics

Totem Acoustics

And others etc;

I just ordered a pair

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438307

Yeah I can definitely understand that, I would wager they are leftovers or something getting cleared out at stupid low prices. Kind of like the RW-12D, they kept finding new stock and it sold for something like 80% off MSRP.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438333

Not White Vann

The bookshelf weighs about 26 lbs each

MB Quart has supplied parts to

Thiel Audio

Aerial Acoustics

Totem Acoustics

And others etc;

I just ordered a pair

Look forward to a review from you, wonder if they can dethrone the JBL S830

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438349

Look forward to a review from you, wonder if they can dethrone the JBL L830

You mean JBL Studio 530
They will be leaving the house

Plus one more pair of speakers

I am going to put them up against the VS26O (list $1395)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438367

You mean JBL Studio 530
They will be leaving the house

Plus one more pair of speakers

I am going to put them up against the VS26O (list $1395)

Yeah caught that mistake after I posted, should be a great shootout. Did you pickup a pair of those B-stock speakers that needed the foam adjusted (their name escapes me...)?

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1520830/help-me-spend-some-insurance-money#post_24438384

Did you pickup a pair of those B-stock speakers that needed the foam adjusted (their name escapes me...)?

No, that was not me.

You must be talking about the Carnegie bookshelf speaker - for a $400 discount

just to adjust polyfill seems a little vague > the fill may have been stuffed wrong,

however, what they needed to do was move some speakers. How are they going

to sell them for $899 now?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts