AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this site is great! I have learned alot in a short period of time since I have been lurking here.

Anyway, with football season just around the corner, I am ready to throw away my 25" Magnavox and spend a few bucks on a nice HDTV. I have been to 8-10 stores looking at TV's and my head is spinning.

My budget is $2,000 to $3,000.

My room size is roughly 18 x 20

Use = TV / Movies / Some Gaming

The first TV that I saw that impressed me was the 60XBR950, a 60" sony. The picture looked absolutely fantastic to me. Clarity, color and brightness looked really good. I saw this at Magnolia (Best Buy) for $3,499. I know that this model has been on the market for some time and is currently being discontinued. Speaking with the salespeople at Magnolia, they believe that the price could potentially drop to $3,000 shortly as they look to sell out their inventory.

I guess I have these questions.

1) What are your thoughts on this TV? How does it stack up against newer models? (Should I be scared to buy a TV model that has been on the market so long?)

2) What other TV's do you recommend in this price range (50"-60") (Although I kind of prefer a 60" in this range unless I am sacrificing alot of quality at this price range)

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I doubt that you'll get much action on this post because those on this board all have different feelings about their individual choices in monitors.

My best advice... Let your eyes tell you what is best for you. Once you find something that you like research it... Find out all that you can: past problems, customer satisfaction, customer support, etc...

Keep an open mind when evaluating monitors in a store because what you see in the store is not what you'll see when you get it home, hooked up to a dedicated source.

Try to take your own DVD player and a movie of your choice that you think will test the monitor of your choice. Try to get the sales person to allow you to hook up your DVD player and hand over the remote so that you can adjust the settings then as mentioned before... Let your eyes tell you if its good or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.