AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new user here. I've been lurking for a couple days trying to figure out this TV I got, but I haven't found a definitive answer yet.

So I just got a Panasonic PT-50LC14 from a friend for free, since he didn't feel like fixing it.

It won't turn on; instread the power button flashes green for a minute, and then switches to flashing red, and the lamp idicator flashes once every 5 seconds. From googling around this seems like a fairly common thing to run into, but I still haven't really found an answer to what is going on.

According to the service manual, this could either mean "Ballast Error (abnormal Lamp or Ballast)," or "Abnormal Voltage on 30 V Line."

I looked at the lamp, and the lens looked a little hazy, and there were some tiny black particles floating around, but it didn't especially look "blown," although I don't really know what a blown lamp looks like anyway. Could that mean the lamp is shot? I found the lamp on Amazon for $84, and it looks like it’s the OEM housed lamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PT50...7151371&sr=8-1

Anyway, I kept researching and found this thread about repairing the ballast with a kit from Panasonic:
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958640

That sounds like a cheaper thing to do, at about $20. However, that thread is about the LC13 models, and I have an LC14. I think I saw in another thead that the LC14's didn't have the same ballast problems as the 13's. So maybe that's not even an issue with mine.

So maybe I should start with the lamp. What do you guys think? I have no idea since I haven't tried repairing a TV before. I'm not afraid to tear into it though; since I got it for free I don't really care! I just figured it would make a nice addition to my basement man cave, if I don't have to sink too much money into it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
With an older set like this, and with how you described the condition of the lamp, I would suspect that the lamp is bad. Usually, that is the first thing I try if I have a spare test lamp. Since you don't, try this:

When you first turn the set on, listen for a clicking/ticking sound. If the sound is present, then your ballast is most likely ok as it is trying to light the lamp.

Also, there is a thermal fuse located on top of the lamp housing. There must be continuity through the fuse in order for the ballast to operate. Check the fuse and the connector going to it.

I think that there is another thermal fuse on this set but I am not sure of the location just yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Alright, I just got home from work and looked at it some more. When I turn the TV on, I hear a fan start up, and then some rapid, pretty quiet clicking for a few seconds at a time. It sounds like it's coming from down near the lamp area. Would that be the sound of the ballast you mentioned?

While I'm at it, here are some pictures of the lamp. See how the lens is kind of hazy? And there's some kind of deposit on the housing around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, as for the thermal fuse, is it actually on the lamp housing, or is it above where the lamp goes? Is there any special way to test it, or do you just check if it has continuity or not?

Then again, if I hear my ballast clicking, would that automatically mean the fuse is good?

Is this the fuse here?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, that is the fuse I mentioned, and yes, if you can hear the ticking, the ballast and fuse are good.

At this point I would definitely replace the lamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts