AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at new media server cases. I'm looking at the CM Stacker and the Thermal Take Armor as options.

There are several differences, but one that I don't understand is the CM's support of 2 PSUs. How does this work? Do they work in tandem or is one a backup in case the other fails? If they work together I don't understand how that happens, I'd think it wouldn't work. But, I don't know about power stuff, I've fried more components hooking up power incorrectly...

Is there any real need for a redundant powersupply if you don't really care if the server goes down, aside from the drive issues?

The other thing that keeps coming up is "power back plane" what exactly is this? My googling and searching here didn't help me understand. Is it just fancy talk for the power source? Or is there something special going on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The stacker is 2 small psu's instead of one big one. Some people like to use it for drives and fans to isolate the electrical noise from the motherboard. I've never really seen the need...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
I'm looking at new media server cases. I'm looking at the CM Stacker and the Thermal Take Armor as options.

There are several differences, but one that I don't understand is the CM's support of 2 PSUs. How does this work? Do they work in tandem or is one a backup in case the other fails? If they work together I don't understand how that happens, I'd think it wouldn't work. But, I don't know about power stuff, I've fried more components hooking up power incorrectly...

Is there any real need for a redundant powersupply if you don't really care if the server goes down, aside from the drive issues?

The other thing that keeps coming up is "power back plane" what exactly is this? My googling and searching here didn't help me understand. Is it just fancy talk for the power source? Or is there something special going on?

Thanks.
It depends on how large a RAID array you want to grow in the case. In my config, there are 2 arrays. One with 8 Maxtor 300s (never again) and one with 4 Seagate 400s (with future expansion for 4 more). A single power supply would have trouble with the motherboard, memory, processsor, cooling and 13 drives. I use one power supply for the MB stuff and cooling, the other for the raid drives. They work in tandem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are a couple of great things with the CM stacker for us that use fairly large file servers...

The built in ability to hold 2 HDDs and even better the cable that comes with the case to hook up 2 PSUs and be able to power them both on with the power switch easily.

I have been looking for another case that can hold 2 PSUs and have a decent number of internal 3.5" drives... have not found anything other than the CM stacker.

I have not pulled the trigger yet cause my generic antec case with extra drive cages is working ok for me with 9 drives but when I have some extra cash.... The only problem is I have to either mod my case door or keep it as is with out the side panel and leave the 2nd PSU next to the case.

I did write coolermaster and they sent me one of the 2 PSUs to one MB cables and it works like a charm... no PSU mod for me:) I have not been able to find a similar part elsewhere.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why do you want a case? Are you plannning on keeping this machine out in living space for everyone to see? If not it is best to just build up your components on a shelf or something with some fans blowing over them. A lot better cooling that way, rather than having a bunch of HDDs in a small case.

I converted a coat closet for my server needs with an undercut door, 16" fan and 100 cfm exhaust fan. Stays around 28C, I keep my house at 27C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.