AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New poster here looking for advise. Mods please move to the correct section if this is in the wrong place. I have a pretty old setup and I'm wondering if I need to update now, or if I should hold off. I won't be upgrading the TV until 3D goes down in price. I hear that there are receivers that can scale up Component to HDMI these days? TV is a Toshiba 52HM84 (720P max, single HDMI input)

My receiver is a Sony STR-DE697 (no hdmi input)

I have the following systems, and not enough inputs, hence the reason to either get a selector box, or just spend the cash now for the receiver. Ideally, I'd like to have all the systems plugged into once device and be able to select between them using a remote, or just get a logitech remote to control it all.

PS3: Component/HDMI/Optical Audio

Wii: Componet

XBOX360: Component/HDMI/Optical Audio

XBOX: Componet/Optical Audio

Dreamcast: Composite

N64: Composite

Should I get a reciever at this point in time, or just a selector box of some sort? If not a receiver, then do they make something like a pelican selector box pro with HDMI/Component/Optical Audio inputs?

Also for some reason when a system is plugged into the TV by HDMI (like an XBOX 360) and I select a different input sorce using the TV remote control, when I switch back to the HDMI input the 360 restarts! Any ideas what causes this?

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
How much are you willing to spend on the AVR? I don't think it worth getting an HDMi switcher with the qualifications you're looking for. I can't recall the name of the company, but I'm sure some one here will, or some other brand "Gefen?" type.

DJoel

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
If you have the budget get a new receiver. Not fond of entry level Sony receivers anyway.

You need a minimum of 2 component and 2 HDMI plus 2 composite. Conversion to HDMI would be a required. You got enough gaming machines yet?

The new Denon 591, 1611, 791 and 1911 wont work since they only have one component video input.

The Onkyo 608 would work with its two component inputs and 6 HDMI inputs.

The Marantz 5003 or 5004 have 3 component inputs and 3 HDMI inputs.

The Yamaha 765 and 1065 have two component in and 4-5 HDMI inputs.

Looks like you'll need to spend close to $400 to get what you want.

Unless you get the Harman Kardan AVR 254 from the Harman ebay store for the low $200 range. It has 2 component and 3 HDMI inputs. But they used to have problems with the PS3. I haven't paid attention lately but I assume they were fixed by a firmware update.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Also for some reason when a system is plugged into the TV by HDMI (like an XBOX 360) and I select a different input sorce using the TV remote control, when I switch back to the HDMI input the 360 restarts! Any ideas what causes this?

I think that has to do with HDMI CEC on the TV or device which causes the unit to be automatically turned on if the HDMI port on the TV is in selected. You can turn that feature/annoyance off.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod /forum/post/19616903

Thanks for the reply! I see that the Harman Kardan AVR 254 doesn't have an optical audio out. (my TV has optical audio in) Should this be a concern?

Why? Don't you have speakers connected to the AVR? Even if not, the HDMI from the AVR to the TV will carry the audio if that is necessary.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speakers are connected to the AVR. Currently I have the optical audio cable going from the TV to my Sony AVR, as it has no HDMI (only the TV). With the new receiver, it doesn't look like it will be an issue as you mentioned. I read that I should get one that has 1.4 HDMI, provides SPDIF, 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, 7.1 HDMI PCM, and allow all three processing types on all digital signals.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19616706

I think that has to do with HDMI CEC on the TV or device which causes the unit to be automatically turned on if the HDMI port on the TV is in selected. You can turn that feature/annoyance off.

Seems like the 360 itself. Someone posted a fix using a dongle and grounding the jumpers here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...924291&page=18

This site is awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.