AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning at 5 AM the fire alarm in my just moved into this weekend apartment went on for no reason. I could not get it to turn off. It must be 30 years old. So I cut the wires and in doing so I short circuited a number of wall sockets and over head lights, including the plug to my AV equiptment. I can run an extension cord from the power conditioner (which I have everything plugged into) to a working socket across the main walkway but I don't want to leave it there for fear of someone tripping. So I thought I could plug it in for the football games and unplug it tonight. My questions are..what the heck did I do when I cut the two wires to the fire alarm and will it hurt my AV equiptment to plug, unpulg, plug and unplug everything until the electrictian comes?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Just make sure the black and white wires are not touching anything, including each other. Better yet, cap the black with a small wire nut. Then reset the circuit breaker by flipping it fully off, then on.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
If he's just moved in, I'll bet it'll take him a while to find the panel. :D

Glashub, for future reference you only need to cut one wire. It shorted because you tried to cut both at once.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yep, I made a mistake but it's fixed. Larrty Fine and DMF, thanks for the info. You guys hit the nail right on the head with your replies. Apparently this was all trigger by a big storm here in LA. Several power outages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.