AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! I posted this before but I think it was on the wrong board.

Recently purchased a new home. We are configuring a movie & game room. Previous owners put in a recessed, closet-sized wet bar off to the side with an old faucet built in. I was thinking of pulling the faucet and converting it into a "theater" type concession area. This is my rough plan right now but I am open to ideas. Only rule is, I don't want to blow a fortune on this, just want it to be a cool little functional spot to grab snacks. I will be running an outlet low and behind the mini-fridge to power things.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? What would you add or eliminate? Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

http://r54i.imgup.net/SnackBar5bbe.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you have pictures? Why remove the faucet and sink? Can you incorporate that into the plan?

It's pretty costly to run a sink and drain, so you'd hate to eliminate that if possible (depending on your space).

Also, I was thinking about the popcorn machine for my reno, too. However, I've heard mixed reviews about cleaning those and whether the use is worth the cost and hastle of cleaning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have pictures? Why remove the faucet and sink? Can you incorporate that into the plan?

It's pretty costly to run a sink and drain, so you'd hate to eliminate that if possible (depending on your space).

Also, I was thinking about the popcorn machine for my reno, too. However, I've heard mixed reviews about cleaning those and whether the use is worth the cost and hastle of cleaning.
I don't have pics of the current setup yet.

I am thinking of keeping the sink, actually. What you said makes sense. I can figure out a workaround.

Just letting you know, re: the popcorn machine thing… I have been doing that for awhile… I guess it depends on your own personal opinion regarding whether it is worth it to own. Me, I don't mind the upfront expense of buying the coconut oil, etc (Flavacol is cheap)… I don't mind cleaning it either because to me, it is a small price to pay for the awesome "movie" quality popcorn taste/experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are missing the price labels
pop and popcorn $10 like at the movies :D

A couple of movie posters are nice to have, everything else looks good.
HA - yeah, it's a lot cheaper to do this whole thing at home, right?

Movie posters… yes, sir, I am thinking of doing that. Eventually I would like to grab a 32-inch flat screen and mount it vertically in a frame and run USB movie poster images in 1080p

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Do you really want the noise of a small bar fridge raising the noise floor of your room?

Might want to bump that usb digital movie poster display up to 40", as there aren't too many
1080P 32" hdtvs. The Sony is really nice, but 40" money. If it's simple usb 1080x1600, then this might
be a shortcut for you. The simple usb built in slideshow method works great!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-th...es/1784465-look-what-black-friday-got-me.html

There's also meyer64's program if running a computer and Auburnu008's build thread is going to have a media player
version for dual displays. And there's Cinemar's approach too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you really want the noise of a small bar fridge raising the noise floor of your room?

Might want to bump that usb digital movie poster display up to 40", as there aren't too many
1080P 32" hdtvs. The Sony is really nice, but 40" money. If it's simple usb 1080x1600, then this might
be a shortcut for you. The simple usb built in slideshow method works great!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-th...es/1784465-look-what-black-friday-got-me.html

There's also meyer64's program if running a computer and Auburnu008's build thread is going to have a media player
version for dual displays. And there's Cinemar's approach too.
We'll see how much noise it creates. If it's super annoying, it will go to another area of the house or I'll return it.

Damn, I love your digital poster frame. Just. Wow. Very, very nice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BTW, have you given any thought to stale popcorn smells and the oils a popcorn maker can put into the air, with regards to
your not so easily cleaned projection screen?
I'm not doing projection, I have a 65" Samsung I plan to mount. First I plan to erect some corrugated, galvanized metal panels to act as an accent wall and then mount the tv on that, along with a floating shelf system for the components and some LED backlighting.

ADDED: Oh, and I like the smell of popcorn

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi, everyone! I posted this before but I think it was on the wrong board.

Recently purchased a new home. We are configuring a movie & game room. Previous owners put in a recessed, closet-sized wet bar off to the side with an old faucet built in. I was thinking of pulling the faucet and converting it into a "theater" type concession area. This is my rough plan right now but I am open to ideas. Only rule is, I don't want to blow a fortune on this, just want it to be a cool little functional spot to grab snacks. I will be running an outlet low and behind the mini-fridge to power things.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? What would you add or eliminate? Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

http://r54i.imgup.net/SnackBar5bbe.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never give your customers access to the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. That looks good- if someone will be working behind it, you might want to put one of each candy box in front and have a drawer behind, filled with whatever you'll stock.

You could also call some store fixture dealers and ask if they have anything from theater remodels.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I'm not doing projection, I have a 65" Samsung I plan to mount. First I plan to erect some corrugated, galvanized metal panels to act as an accent wall and then mount the tv on that, along with a floating shelf system for the components and some LED backlighting.

Gotcha.

But that's yet another mistake I've made in the past... Have you given any thought to
the electronic displays and their light pollution and how noticeable they will be?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never give your customers access to the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. That looks good- if someone will be working behind it, you might want to put one of each candy box in front and have a drawer behind, filled with whatever you'll stock.

You could also call some store fixture dealers and ask if they have anything from theater remodels.
HAHAW

If I was $$ loaded $$ I would have a dedicated, projection screen HT and lobby with concession stand, soda machine, etc. As it stands though, I am on my way to having a nice set up. I have an arcade cabinet, electronic arcade basketball, popcorn machine. Plus, (I think) a pretty awesome, new 65" tv and sweet 5.1 sound system. Life is good. Hopefully I will also have a pool table by fall. I have to talk the little woman into that one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotcha.

But that's yet another mistake I've made in the past... Have you given any thought to
the electronic displays and their light pollution and how noticeable they will be?
If you mean the backlighting, that can be turned off while watching a movie. I'm a big fan of lighting, you will never convince me of not using accent lighting. heehee

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
You might have a look at Google Images with the search "home theater snack bar".

EBay also might be a source, and there's been some DIY snack bars on AVS so an AVS search might also inspire you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might have a look at Google Images with the search "home theater snack bar".

EBay also might be a source, and there's been some DIY snack bars on AVS so an AVS search might also inspire you.
Yes, I have been lurking the AVS forums for awhile, actually…

Lots of good sources, Pinterest is a good one also. I just have to watch my budget.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We'll see how much noise it creates. If it's super annoying, it will go to another area of the house or I'll return it.

Damn, I love your digital poster frame. Just. Wow. Very, very nice.
I'm intrigued by the accent wall idea. I too went with a TV, 70" Vizio with 3D vs projector as the space would be used primarily for entertaining with lights on. Here's my TV wall (still in progress)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm intrigued by the accent wall idea. I too went with a TV, 70" Vizio with 3D vs projector as the space would be used primarily for entertaining with lights on. Here's my TV wall (still in progress)
I saw this in another thread… very nice, man. The brick look is unique for HT. Almost has a "stand up comedy theater" vibe going. Speakers must have set you back some $$, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.