AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the Yamaha RX-V465 and a Samsung 52" model 630 LCD TV. I have an Xbox 360 and a Sony BD player connected via HDMI. I have OTA television with an optical audio connection. We recently added two more components to the mix, a Clearplay DVD player and a Wii game box.

The Clearplay has component video with optical connections. I hooked those up and everything's ok. Since the 465 can only output the same video signal that is put into it I had two choices with the Wii, either use composite video which means another cord going from the receiver to the TV or buy the Wii component video connector and use the same component connection to the TV that I set up for the Clearplay, added benefit of the latter is the better picture with the component video.

Here is my confusion. The Wii component video connector has the three video plugs and audio left and right plugs. But the 465 has only two component inputs, one has optical audio input and one has coaxial audio input. The receiver also has 2 separate audio inputs with L and R so I initially plugged the Wii audio into one of those inputs. But that doesn't work. Setup that way I get picture and no sound or sound and no picture. I've read the manual several times and I can't see any way to work this out. Can someone help me out with this?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Hi KLC, check Yamaha website as there is a firmware update ( J030 ) which allow you to assign analog audio input to component video input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JChin, thanks for the help. I just downloaded the procedure and I'm getting started now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished and it worked like a charm, thanks again for that invaluable information. I'm used to checking for pc driver updates but I never would have thought of an AV receiver firmware update.

If you happen to check back I have another more general question that I'll post in a new thread if needed.

I'd really like to eliminate the snarl of cables behind the TV. Ideally I would have the snarl going into the receiver and then have just one HDMI cable leaving the receiver and going to the TV.

When I bought the 465 it was about as much as we wanted to spend but would more expensive receivers have the ability to convert say a component input and output it to the HDMI? If so, what is that feature called? Are there receivers out there that have a video antenna input so the OTA TV signal could be output to the TV over the same HDMI out?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You would have to buy a Set Top Box OTA HDTV tuner for that. No avr's, and.or audio processors have video tuners that I know of.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Thats great, glad to be of help.

There is no need to upgrade to an expensive receiver to get this feature. Some of the budget model already has the analog to digital video conversion (Analog to HDMI Video Conversion). And as JOHNnDENVER posted there are no receiver that I know of that has a video tuner to do what you are asking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts