AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to attempt to make a screen for my infocus 4805. I will be using this site members.shaw.ca/danhanson/Theater/screen/screenproject.htm as my instructions, except I dont know when to paint the black out cloth. Doesnt it need to be stretched on the frame first to be painted? But then wouldnt the paint get one the velvet masking? :confused: Also, what would be the best paint for this screen? it will be 92" in a light controlled room.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Strech the BO. Paint the BO. Add the masking.

Or, you may want to skip the BO and frame building all together and paint a board instead.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use the thin (.060") Parkland screen with my 4805, and it looks great.

1) It is probably easier to mount, since it has more rigidity than BO cloth and doesn't need to be stretched. It does need a support framework, though.

2) No need to paint, either - it looks great as is.

3) More durable, since it was actually designed as a bathroom wall material. To clean: just spray Fantastic (or your prefered cleaner) on it and wipe it down. Little kids, or pets, can rub up against it and it cleans easily.

4) At only about ~$12 for a 4x8 sheet from the paneling department at Menards, it is less expensive than the blackout cloth that I have seen.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I agree with Viking Theater, also on his football team :) Unless you like the extra work, the Parkland products at Menards will work great, especially with the 4805, which has good contrast out of the box. In addition, to the .060" material, Menards also carries Parkland Durotherm Lite panels, which are also 4' x 8', but are 5/16" thick and do not require a backing to keep flat. They run about $29 bucks and may be a little harder to transport, they are in the paneling aisle standing up. You may have to trim the length if you want a 16:9 ratio...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your help guys, my projector should be here any minute!! :D I think I will go with the thicker parkland, hopefully my lowes or homedepot carries it. And you said it did not need any paint? What about masking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the home depot and lowes near me had no idea what parkland was, so I went with the do-able board. I had it cut so it is now 48" x 85". Are borders worth it? how should i go about attaching them?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
If you have the need to paint your DoAble right away, I recommend rolling a couple of coats of Behr Ultra Pure White (flat) over the vinyl side of your DoAlbe. Otherwise, it may be best to enjoy your DoAble "as is" for a while before deciding what paint solution to use.

A boarder (masking) is worth it. One way to attach a boarder is with velcro. Wrap the velvet around something stiff, light and thin, like cardboard but perhaps more durable (not sure what would work best). Attach the horizontal and vertical panels around your screen with velcro. Run extra thin strips of velcro just under the interior edge of your 4 panels. Make extra velvet covered panels like the ones around your screen and put strips of velcro on the back of them. These panels will need to be made to the appropriate dimensions. Attach these extra panels to the velcro hidden just inside the panels boardering your screen whenever your picture doesn't fill your entire screen (to hide the parts of your screen not showing the picture).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.